Lowes crotons

Central Floridave

16/07/09
Lowes in Indian Harbor beach had these croton for sale: Red Batik, Picasso paintbrush, Zanzibar, dreadlocks, fantasy (looked like fishbone), along with the more common ones.

I was surprised to see Lowes supplying some rarer croton. I'm always zooming through nurseries and seeing what they have.

Someone in South Florida must be pushing these out for the big chain stores to get them.

Lowes gets Dreadlocks every other year it seems. Picasso's Paintbrush are all coming from tissue culture, so they've really flooded the market with that one. And Zanzibar is in stock at many wholesale nurseries as an alternative to Petra and Mammay.

Dave,
You know the story behind the croton "Magnificent" being in the big chain stores? its quite an amazing one.
These large farms like COSTA get a few cuttings of these plants, and grow massive fields of them in Costa Rica, then they will ship the rooted cuttings up here to Florida, grow them out a bit, and bam, in probably 4-5 years you have a croton so super rare turned into something as common as Petra!!!

Rob

Dave,
You know the story behind the croton "Magnificent" being in the big chain stores? its quite an amazing one.
These large farms like COSTA get a few cuttings of these plants, and grow massive fields of them in Costa Rica, then they will ship the rooted cuttings up here to Florida, grow them out a bit, and bam, in probably 4-5 years you have a croton so super rare turned into something as common as Petra!!!

Rob

Check out www.foremostco.com for some named Croton stock cuttings. These may be showing up in the retail stores soon.

I don't care if is rare or common, the Exotica is beautiful (at least the picture in the book) and I would love to have one. Petra is a beautiful cultivar and I have 4 of them.