How to Propagate Cordylines (Ti plants)

Ti plants started from Ti logs. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5343.jpg
    IMG_5343.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 319
The seedling Tis from this summers seed of Xerox, Hawian Boy and Jackie. Interesting that the Kiwi seed that were soil planted have shown no germination, but those that had the paper towel method used have shown 80% germination at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_5345.jpg
    IMG_5345.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_5347.jpg
    IMG_5347.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 289
Isn't it funny that the cuttings look nothing like what they will look like later? A mature "Electra" has no green in it whatsoever. I think of it as a shocking pink version of Miss Andrea.

Spent a few hours yesterday with a little paint brush in hand, moving pollen around on the flowering plants. I think I have become hooked on growing from seed. I just hope in a few years some will be interesting. I did a quick seedling count last week and had 51 seedlings, and more seedlings are seen daily.

Angela, What is the size of the seedlings when you pot them up from the germination pots? A few of my seedlings are at the forth leaf stage, but many are still germinating in the pot.

I would have a problem with them dampening off or falling ill to pests so there would only be a few left by the time they were six inches tall. (We have a lot of pests because we are in the forest.) Then I would just plant them out in the garden because they seem to take off when they are not in a pot.

I have used BGI Select Potting & Garden Soil For Bougainvillea for my rooted Ti plants and seed sowing. I am thinking it will work well for the seedlings when they get a little larger. The soil is a mixture of pinebark, canadian peat, Fl peat and dolomite. It drains quick and I hope will keep the young plants from dampening off to bad.

I am a happy Ti grower! Noticed today Sensation and Gold Edge are also going to flower.

Attachments

• IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_5699.jpg
    IMG_5699.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_5705.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 270
Fruit is now forming on the Ti's that have/are flowering.

Attachments

• IMG_5703.jpg
    IMG_5703.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 297
The pot of Hawiian Boy seedlings here. It is really neat to watch them grow. I can see 3 leaf shapes. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_5866.jpg
    IMG_5866.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 280
A few of the larger Hawiian Boy seedlings are now showing a little red coloring on leaf edges.

Moving day for H. Boy seedlings.

Attachments

• IMG_6684.jpg
    IMG_6684.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_6683.jpg
    IMG_6683.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_6686.jpg
    IMG_6686.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_6687.jpg
    IMG_6687.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_6694.jpg
    IMG_6694.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 280
Received back in the mail this week seed that has been out of the country for 4 months. I do not know the shelf life of Ti seed but are going to give them a try.

A little color showing on H. Boy seedlings.

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpg
    IMG_6768.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 311
The Xerox seedlings will be ready soon for potting up.

Attachments

• IMG_6772.jpg
    IMG_6772.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 285
A pot of the Kiwi seedlings that I used the paper towel method for germinating.

Attachments

• IMG_6773.jpg
    IMG_6773.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 272
Here is a little pot with the Jackie seedlings waiting for potting up.

Attachments

• IMG_6774.jpg
    IMG_6774.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 292
Nice! Looks like you've been really busy! I'm much to lazy to do all that... lol. I have some soil where I sprouted some ti seeds and then they died from neglect and then some more seeds sprouted more than a year later from the same batch in the same pot. So the seeds can probably last a long time. It's really humid here so those old seeds never really dried out.

Xerox seedlings potted up today. :D

Attachments

• IMG_6957.jpg
    IMG_6957.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_6958.jpg
    IMG_6958.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 275
After soaking in water for two days, the 8" logs are ready for being placed in soil. I cut the logs in half making two 4" logs. Here is a photo of a beefy 8" Lilinoe log. Also placed Red Rooster Tail, Cointreaux, Betty Lou, Lilian Olivieras and Monte Christo logs in soil.

Attachments

• IMG_6960.jpg
    IMG_6960.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 334
The seedlings are moving along...:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_7004.jpg
    IMG_7004.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 262
The Postal Service was good to me again today. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7090.jpg
    IMG_7090.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 327
Looking good now. :cool: With warm/hot temps and humid conditions in recent weeks growth is speeding up now.

Attachments

• IMG_7120.jpg
    IMG_7120.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_7119.jpg
    IMG_7119.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 284
Received back in the mail this week seed that has been out of the country for 4 months. I do not know the shelf life of Ti seed but are going to give them a try.

After being out and around the world, the seed have now sprouted.

As the addiction grows logs of Ele Ele, Tutu Elena, Dr Minaii, Wine Cooler, Volcano, Richard Ornellad, Melvin C, Bok Choi, Green Star, Pahoa, Spearless White Gold and Red Ribbon have been added.

A pot of Kiwi seedlings after sprouting using the paper towel method. Look close at the seedling to the back of the pot, and you can see a white edge on the newest open leaf.

Attachments

• IMG_7123.jpg
    IMG_7123.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 266
Is it necessary to soak mail order Ti logs in water before planting? If so, how long?

Keith, Do not know if its necessary to soak, but I have read it helps to hydrate the logs. I soak at least 2 days, but sometimes I do not get around to potting for a week or more.

Wow Scott. You're really going to town with your seedlings. I've started some, but haven't had great success. The weather here is just too cool and dry for them at the initial growth stages. We have a Ti club here in Southern California with 20 some members and most did not do well growing seeds. The people who were successful are the ones who had greenhouses where heat and humidity could be maintained as it is in your area and Hawaii. Getting the ti plants to set seed here is also difficult. A few people have had some seed set, but for the most part there isn't any. It is still quite cool here when the ti plants bloom and that's probably a large factor for that.

Keep up the great work!

Ken, The Winter has been very mild here. Last year the fruit were not ripe untill July. I harvested and planted my first seed the other day from this seasons crop. I hope that all will ripen soon as I really want to get the taller plants cut back this Spring.

Ken, I did not know that there was a Ti club in California. I wanted to get a Ti club going but it looked as not to many are interested here in the U.S., I also am interested in getting a online Ti talk forum going, with a Ti Wiki. Found a Ti Wiki on line, but it is a little lame as the pics are not that great.

Following the H. Boy seedling along its path in life. Seed harvested and sown in Aug 2011. The seedlings have been grown on the Lanai. Pic #1 (seedling pot) taken 11/28/11. Pic #2 taken 1/22/12, removing from seedling pot for planting in its own pot. Pic #3 taken 3/12/12 as the red is showing in leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_5866.jpg
    IMG_5866.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6683.jpg
    IMG_6683.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_7180.jpg
    IMG_7180.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 276