Crotons in California.

Stan

17/04/14
Two years ago,this blog's topic would be nothing special to me. Now,I see the greatness-lol. I even now know to look for "Stoplight". If I don't find it- then I will order one next spring. Mammy for me did fantastic. It did finally color up and its in a 5 gallon pot now. I will go 25 one day,knock on croton wood.
And Dean- check out his Red Cloak!

http://www.marriedtoplants.com/flowering-plants/crotons-in-southern-california/

Stan, I thoroughly enjoyed the photos and article you attached to your post. I'm from the Californian desert (Imperial Valley) on the Mexican border and I didn't know what a Croton was until my job transferred me to Costa Rica where I settled after retirement. Thanks again! :hoe&rake

Stan - being in the Bay area, you have a lot more humidity then most California areas. Coupled with your microclimate, I believe you will have success with crotons. Hey, your mango seems to be doing well. You probably will just have a few nights to fret about a year. With a bit of protection, you will be rewarded with wonderful colors during the warmer months.

Don,for you the skies the limit. Do you know Coconut palms are grown there in the deserts?- to the point they fruit?.I've seen pics of huge tree sized Singapore Plumeria- P.obtusa. Even Ficus bengahlensis. We just need a decent winter.
Moose,Petra made me back off...but as Mammy grew (a lot) over the summer,I think I will add a few more types. They had always seemed impossible.
N.S, Stewartii is on the list now.