Croton ID Needed Please

rpebinger

I picked up this little gem today. My limited identification capabilities know that it is not as it was labeled (Mammy). The pics do not do the croton justice. There are far more orange colors that resonate prior to the oldest leaves turning a vibrant red splotch. Appreciate any help ~ Rich

Attachments

• 011214 need ID I.jpg
    011214 need ID I.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 011214 need IDII.jpg
    011214 need IDII.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 011214 need IDIII.jpg
    011214 need IDIII.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 011214 need IDIV.jpg
    011214 need IDIV.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 130
OK, now my turn. Lamar gave this croton to me over a year ago without knowing what its name is. It's turned into a really nice looking plant. Can anyone help me out?
CAM00624.jpg
CAM00625.jpg

Not particularly fast, but not slow as snails either. It got set back a bit when Lamar brought it down. I think he had it in his trunk for too long and it got dehydrated.

I bought one Pinocchio and one Freckles in two different nurseries. They looked different. As of now, they look identical :(

Dear Palmisland, you are pretty much right. My neighbors admire my display but they are not getting excited by the names and the fact that I have over 40 different crotons :(. Now I have Mammey (Mammie?), Curly Boy and Lauren’s Rainbow side by side and nobody can see a big difference:(. The best award was when my husband (the only smoker in the neighborhood) overheard while sitting (invisible) on the porch: “Look at this! How did she make it look so pretty?!”

…and today at Walmart I saw the croton named Lena ( from ”Exotic Angel pants”). The plants were half dead, so I didn’t buy one…but it will be another Laurens-Curly-Mammie looking croton…

I am sorry, OP (Original Poster). I am often “off topic”. I can post the pictures of my Pinocchio and my Freckles if it helps.

Just an interesting moment, Tim O. And I spoke about the above plant we were trying to ID. I think is a plant I got from David McLean, I told Tim about a conversation with Dave, he ask about the plant, I replied "I got it from you". A good laugh followed. If no objects I would at this time like to go ahead and call it David McLean. Your response would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpg

Lamar,
Richard Button named a croton David McLean just before David passed. But remember, there are two Frank Browns.
Marie

I just returned from David's memorial, very wonderful and large group celebrating one really special guy. I took that opportunity to speak to the group and presented a picture of the Croton above and hopefully I have not offended anyone so it can represent him well.

Lamar, Good to see you today at the celebration of David's life. It was so nice and some of the stories great. This is a beautiful croton and represents David well. I would love to get one if you should have an extra air layer or cutting. Thanks, Marnie