Carpoxylon macrospermum

Re: C. macrospermum

Winter '07 - '08. Carpoxylon survived, in ground, over winter, with no protection in SoCals long cool winter. Lowest extreme temps were 38F & 39F on a couple of nights with many nights at low 40'sF. It's still acclimating to sun so older leaves are somewhat crispy, but I don't think there was any cold damage done.

Congratulations on having the first C. macrospermum I have heard of to make it through a winter in SoCal. If I recall, I never gave it a chance. I guess it takes that special gifted grower. :)
Let's see how it likes the summer heat.

Yeah, no grower skills here, just a primo spot on the primo lot. The summer heat won't be a problem, but yes, I have a feeling we're in for some serious sun scorching. But Al's in Kona is in some serious all day full sun too so I think with some time and established root system kept moist it'll acclimate. It's the sun that saved this puppy through winter though, I'm sure of it.

I would think a thick layer of mulch would be your friend, keeping the moisture in and the roots a moderate warm temp through the hottest months. How 'bout a pic or two to document this miracle at Manambe Lavaka.

Well, not much to look at. But considering it sat there all winter with no protection I guess that's a victory. The yellowing and sunburn only happened recently as the sun's angle is getting more intense. The cold spotting was very minimal as you can see.

Let's try that again.

Attachments

• 4-7-08- 019.jpg
    4-7-08- 019.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 223