An eerie old NOAA weather radio recording from January 1985

Interesting post,1985 was not a good winter.I was at UF in Gainesville that winter.I remember this cold snap because the pipes froze in my complex and burst the pipes.This year has been a pleasure, almost all night temps in the low 70's to high 60's and plants are growing steadily.I had an airlayer that I started in Nov and I just potted it up from a 1 gal to a 3 gal today.The roots were growing well.not summer growth my any means, but there has been no dormancy here :)

Aren't we such a bunch of Floridians; talking about the weather all the time. Yeah, I'm as guilty as the rest of us. Living up north we got weather in the conversation only when there was a snowstorm headed towards us. The rest of the time we rarely discussed it. Now? It's the first thing I check in the morning - open the patio doors and stick my head outside, maybe even check the thermometer. Then three different, no, make that four different websites before turning on the local news and finally The Weather Channel. Obsessive? Nah, Floridian.

For the life of me, when last week was in the low 80's and humid and this week is just the same, and everyday into next week calls for low 80's how can cold weather be posibly on anyone's mind?

After the past two frigid winters this one has been deserved. Cold weather? Eh? What's that!

Once we get past Feb 15th a chance of a hard freeze goes down drastically. Weather.com ten day gets us to Feb.9th with the same temps as we have seen.

My croton are doing great this winter and only have had to water over the weekends. Although no rain for a month, the humidity has stayed up, which helps.

Knock on wood and throw salt over my shoulder in helping I didn't just hex the current awesome 'winter' weather in Florida!

For the life of me, when last week was in the low 80's and humid and this week is just the same, and everyday into next week calls for low 80's how can cold weather be posibly on anyone's mind?

Jeff, I only posted this as a contrast to what we've had this year. From a historical perspective, I can't imagine being a citrus farmer or ornamental grower in 1985 and hearing that type of freeze warning. It must have sent chills down every growers spine. During that freeze, the polar vortex normally centered around northern Canada was sitting over Michigan!

Like you said Dave, winter is basically over. I won't breathe a sigh of relief until after the 20th when the likelihood of a hard freeze decreases significantly. I thought it was cool to hear NOAA radio back when the voice wasn't a digital computerized voice.