Natures Fury

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Nature can throw you a fastball at any moment. Today was one of those days for me. Needed the rain but not the hail that was thrown in. The big leaf plants are a little shredded now.

Img_5269.jpg Img_5275.jpg Img_5278.jpg Img_5272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks more like a winter ice storm than a 93F afternoon in May.
Img_5268.jpg

Wow - that is crazy - buckshot from the sky.

Thanks for sharing, but I'm certainly sorry you had to experience that. Sometimes it seems as if it's always something trying to mess up our perfect plants in our perfect garden.

Wow - that is crazy - buckshot from the sky.

Thanks for sharing, but I'm certainly sorry you had to experience that. Sometimes it seems as if it's always something trying to mess up our perfect plants in our perfect garden.
Dean, As you know when you deal with nature you never know what is going to happen next. I will take this and make it another learning experience. I got a repeat performance again yesterday. This time from a storm moving in from the southeast (Sundays storm came from the north). New damage on plants that escaped the Sunday storm. Forecast calls for more of these hailstorms this week as the atmosphere above is still cold. May and early June these type of storms pop up, but are usually more inland and I have not had the pleasure of them in the past.
Img_5284.jpg

That was quite a storm, Scott. We haven't had a hailstorm to that extent over here on the east coast in many years. I remember I was driving through such a storm and worried that the car windows were going to shatter. Just curious about your learning experience, are you going to cover your plants if you have forecast for hail?

That was quite a storm, Scott. We haven't had a hailstorm to that extent over here on the east coast in many years. I remember I was driving through such a storm and worried that the car windows were going to shatter. Just curious about your learning experience, are you going to cover your plants if you have forecast for hail?
I will make all future Ti plantings under canopy of trees. All plants under canopy are fine as the overhead limbs and foliage looks to have broken the full force of the hail. I may not get every plant under canopy, but I will give it my best to do so. At least the storm that hit again yesterday afternoon kept its fury just to my east hail was reported in that storm also. I got the rain edge picking up a little over 1/2". Looks as if the rainy season is now underway.

Last edited:
Scott - Good point re: planting under canopy of trees. I've been trying to do that, most recently under some oaks. Hoping these won't be too shaded. Since we have a lot of pine trees, I like to plant around these and crotons and Ti seem to do well underneath (although spindly pine branches do fall sometimes). Of late, I've added a few young palms and will begin planting underneath these as well. Newest Ti for our garden: Wiley's Gold, Dr. Frank Brown and a really thin leaved, practically black one whose name I cannot recall. That last I have planted in a container with a "Black Jack" begonia and a black/green colacasia.

Planting under a canopy certainly will help. Ti plants grow quickly in your area so soon you will have a lot of new growth. If you don't get these storms frequently I wouldn't even worry about the protection. How often has this happened to you?