Palm ID

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I raised this from seed collected from a public palm garden. The seed was on the ground under a Triangle Palm. The leaves are softer than a Triangle and Green. Is this a Triangle hybrid?

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 218
Definitely has a Triangle parent, but I don't think you weren't asking that. :)

The two questions I would ask are, what are the chances of another flowering Dypsis at the same time, same place. And it looks like this palm is in a fair amount of shade. If so, that could account for the softer leaves and lack of the Triangle "grayer" color.

If I said, "When you hear hoof beats..........." --- would you know what I meant?

Dean, I do not remember if another Dypsis was in the local palm garden in St Pete (hint) or not. I grew 6 of these from seed and gave the other 5 away.I do not remember who received the others. It also was the fastest grower I believe it is 6 yrs old now. Puts out 3 fronds a year. It is in a noon- sunset sun location. Hoof beats?

Hoof Beats --- It's an old Medical Saying pertaining to diagnosis. It goes like this.

"When you hear hoof beats, think horses - not zebras."

Meaning, more often than not, the answer to a diagnosis (ID) is the most obvious one - not the more exotic. At least that should be the first suspicion, and until that is ruled out the exotic explanations are just that - exotic explanations. :)