ID Observations

palmisland

28/03/08
Just an observation....... I have an interest in a few kinds of plants (palms, crotons, cycads & broms). When it comes to a palm Id for instance, it is described as" a this or a that", but when it comes to crotons an ID is almost always prefaced by "looks like a" or "could be a" or "appears to be a". I'm certainly no croton ID expert, but the IDing business seems pretty subjective. Just an observation!:D

Randy:)

That's because Crotons in general, are probably the most unstable, genetically imbalanced family of plants on earth. And were all scientist trying to figure it out.:) Those palm people don't have a leg to stand on against us!

To re-emphasize the above - we are dealing with one genus and one species - that's it -
but then this one genus and one species is genetically unstable which gives rise to an almost limitless number of varities, cultivars, etc.
Most plant scientists cannot agree on a common definition of a species; and we have a genetically unstable species. This is not a plant for those that demand mathematical precision unless you like Heisenberg's uncertainty priciple (but I may be mixing methaphors so will quit now). As Dr. Gonzo said, when the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.