Dypsteries

Kim

26/03/08
Discussion thread for DYPSTERIES. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

(Edit: I hate it that if you click on something it creates a post even though you didn't write anything.)

Mod Edit: Kim, It's basically just initiating the page to begin a discussion. Someone has to go first. :)

Last edited:
I have a seedling labeled "Dypsis sp. 'Maria's mystery'". Any idea where that fits in the Dypstery categories? I've never heard of it before, have never seen any discussion about it on Palmtalk.

Kim,

I recall reading somewhere in that long Dransfield/Big Island thread that 'Maria's Stumpy' was also referred to as 'Maria's Mystery'. I bet Wal could shed some light on that.

Is it reasonable to expect that once (if ever) some of these mysterious Dypsis begin flowering that the mystery will be ended.

So much of botanical identification is baased on flowers, fruit, and seed, that I can expect that much of what is discussed is merely speculation. While it has value, it is not enough for pure identification.

DNA testing is, of course, valuable, but only if you have reference material. Is the work being done by Dr. Dransfield going to change the world of botanical indetification? If it does, there will be a lot of resistence in the botanists world, I would guess.

All of this is very interesting to me as an observer.

How far out are we from developing flowers in some of our 'Dypstery" trees?

Some are already doing so in the garden of Jeff and Suchin Marcus. I will need to get the accurate results and post them. But I believe his 'Big Curly" has flowered, and the results sent to Dransfield. And as you know, the Orange Crush flowers have been sent there. And Jeff has many close to flowering.