Do I need to worry about low 40s?

RonDEZone7a

02/07/09
We are having some unusually early cold here in Delaware. My potted croton collection is still outside. Do I need to worry about a night with a low temp in the low 40s? I hate to bring all my plants in too early - they do best outside in the sunshine and fresh air until right before a frost.

P1030083.jpg

Most of them will probably be fine.
I would move less cold tolerant varieties like Zanzibar and Picasso's Paintbrush indoors - seems to me like they don't like cold wet soil and they start to decline when exposed to too much cold - I suspect they may start to lose their roots under cold wet conditions...
Nice looking crotons!

I think you will be fine once it warms up in the day.Piccasso's Paintbrush sure is a wimp I woud probably get that one some cover.

Ray,

So far so good. The crotons have endured a couple nights in the 40s without problem. I think your theory is correct - if they get exposed to more cool weather, they handle a cold night better. We've been cooling down for a month now so my crotons probably stopped growing. Still, I have to watch that it doesn't stay too cold in the daytime too as they don't like cold wet soil. Oh well, just a few more days and they come in.

My problem is my neighbor's tree shades my sunroom (on the south side) until the leaves fall in early November. So there is always a few weeks between when I need to bring the crotons in for their safety (from frost) and the sunroom gets sunnier. It's quite dark now inside with the lower fall sun and the tree still green on the right (south) side of my sunroom...

SunroomAug2006-1.jpg