Category:NANNORRHOPS

John,

You probably saw my other response on the Brahea sp.

If you want to try - here's how to create a species page, and the discussion page just comes along with it. Creating a new genus category is a little tricky. But the species page for an existing genus goes like this.

Make sure your spelling is correct and "search" (search box) for the species. If it is not yet created, you will see the option to create the page. All you have to do is put something on the page, save it, and it will be created.

But, after that you need to "index" it. You need to put a little "code" at the bottom that will automatically insert it in the main encyclopedia under the right genus, and alphabetically. Look at any species page and you will see how to do that. Just entering [[Category:BRAHEA|clara]] at the bottom of a page will automatically place a reference to that page in the "Category" BRAHEA, and the "c" in clara will place it in alphabetical order in that "Category." But it will retain the name of the title of the page. That is why you need to double check your spelling and capitalizations when initially creating the page.

Give it a try. But as mentioned, you need to have something to place on the page. Just for fun enter {{Palm Page}} or {{SpeciesListBackLink}} to see what happens. :)

Dean,

Thanks.

I'll give it a try later this weekend. My wife has just returned from chaperoning Junior High School kids at a Bible camp and we are seriously into the wine cellar tonite.

I truly appeciate your help. I want to be certain that entries I make are consistent with the aims of the encyclopedia. As you know, some of the things we keep are not part of the Kew monocot reference, but are certainly items we, as palmaholics, are interested in.

It is my opinion that we move a little quicker than the bigwigs in Areceacea (sp.?), but to be relevant to our folks in the biz and the hobbyists, we need to address the plants that are of interest to the palmy boys (and girls, no offense intended, Kim).

Again, thanks. If I screw it up, I'll come begging for assistance.

Finally, maybe we need 'webinar' to help all of us in creating the pages. If all of us felt more competent, we may get better input.

John

John,

This is just one big free for all. Anything goes. It is impossible to do anything wrong. :)

Click on the "Help" link on the left. Click on the "edit" tab at the top of any page you wish to mimic. Make mistakes. Someone else will fix 'em if you can't. There is really no way to do anything that can't be fixed. Every page has a "history" tied to it. So any page can be reverted to a previous state easily.

So in other words, experiment and have fun. It's kinda cool to create a page with colors and pics and chapters, out of nothing. And then you see your name in print at the bottom. :)