Zadroga (David McLean)

fawnridge

04/07/09
Here are two plants, both from the same cutting, from David McLean. He found this in a client's yard and named it Zadroga after the client:

zadroga1.jpg

zadroga2.jpg

Ricky,

I've had this croton too for many years from David. But, when the group came by last year, Ray seem to think it was I believe Mrs W.F. Dreer. Or W.F. Dreer.

Ray....do you remember?

Jeff

...and then there's this one - colors up more a bit later in the year. Nice plant but no name.

Attachments

• DSCN2076.jpg
    DSCN2076.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN2075.jpg
    DSCN2075.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 196
Yes, the correct name is Mrs. WF Dreer. Here's the original photo. I now have 5 of these in the ground in various locations. None of them look the same.

Attachments

• zagroda.jpg
    zagroda.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 191
Here are two new photos of Mrs. WF Dreer. The more yellow one gets afternoon sun, the other is shade most of the day, and is a cutting off the yellow one from 2 years ago.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 208
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 191
Curious as to why this croton has not made an appearance at one of our Croton Society Auctions? :confused: It must be rather rare and/or very slow growing. :eek::eek:

It appears to be a very nicely hued cultivar. I like both shaded and sun exposed versions! :cool:

I hope a Mrs. W. F. Dreer would show up at the November 19th Croton Garden Tour / Meeting auction. The Moose would welcome a trade for one, PM me if you think I may have something you need. :eek:

The second pic is Ricky's WF Dreer & the first is a cutting from it doing quite nicely at my place.

-Randy

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0073.jpg
    DSC_0073.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 164
I took an air layer to the first meeting/auction at Rick Leitner's garden (summer 2007). It's one of the faster crotons in my garden and gets air layered yearly.

Ray - will another make it to Rick's garden tour / auction on Feb. 25th? It is the Moose's birthday then ... Buddy? ;)

I don't know how to contact David McLean. It would be nice to have him attend the croton garden tour.

Would someone extend an invitation to him? :)