You may want to check ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I know these pictures are out of focus, I could not get the camera to focus on the subject. This is Caribbean Star and I noticed some ants crawling on the tender part of the plant. Sure enough, those Green blobs you see is the dreaded croton scale. 3 days of a low of 37 F and its January 16 and I find scale. Just a heads up to the crotonheads in South Florida, you may want to survey your plants soon. :(

Attachments

• AAB scale.jpg
    AAB scale.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 212
  • AAB scale 2.jpg
    AAB scale 2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 208
  • AAB scale 3.jpg
    AAB scale 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 205
Any time you see ants on your crotons should be a call for alarm. Those little bastards will spend all the live-long day farming scales and aphids. If you don't catch it early it can really set back a plant.

Ron,

You think with all the recent cold weather, the populations of at least some insects would be affected. Had this plant been treated with Merit, because I know you are using it?

Jeff - I got the Caribbean Star from Marie Nock and she had treated it with merit. I could see the granular residue on container soil surface. I know where you are going with this, I do not know when she applied it. It would be nice to know how long this systemic prophylatic lasts.

This is my only affected croton so far. Everything that was treated with Malice (another trade name, same chemical as Merit) is still croton scale free.

Toby (Koki) you are so right. I let it go once meaning "to get to it" for a week. Real bad descision, this scale multiples and matures most rapidly once established. Yes, the ants are the indicator. You will see them crawling about while the scale is developing hidden under the leaves. :mad:

At the Arboretum, we have a fair sized Erithryna variegata that has not bloomed in a few years because of annual insect attacks so last week we gave it almost 50 gallons of Merit drench. I wanted to apply it early because I don't know how long it takes to translocate up into a large tree. It is about 6 to 10 weeks before its normal bloom time.

While we were at it, we mixed up a Merit drench and soluble fert cocktail for the few crotons we have. We have had a few warm days now so do you think I was too early for either the insecticide or the fert? Are the crotons actively growing enough this time of year to take them up?

BTW, I understand that the more Imidicloprid (Merit, Marathon etc) you use the longer it is supposed to last.

This is what I use as soon as I see croton scale. Mist it right on the scale. It works as a contact and is a systemic. I do not drench the roots with this product because it is highly toxic and I fear for my dogs getting into it. I also worry about the critters in the soil. It does absorb into the leaves a bit.

This is just a stop gap for the scale until the Merit, Malice ... gets a chance to get absorbed through the roots. Typically taking about two weeks in my experience. Most of my plants are pretty small.

Attachments

• AAB Cygon.jpg
    AAB Cygon.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 243
I have good luck spraying infected plants with a spritz of Murphy's Oil Soap mixed with water (about 1 tablespoon to a quart). The soap breaks down the shell on the scale. A shot or 2 a couple of weeks in a row knocks them back without the toxins.

Randy

Croton scale found on Angle Wing My pictures suck - see the green blobs. :mad:

Attachments

• AAC Croton Scale Angel Wing.jpg
    AAC Croton Scale Angel Wing.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 323
  • AAC Croton Scale 2.jpg
    AAC Croton Scale 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 208
Haven't seen any of those green buggers here yet, but we have plenty of other types of scale insects already....
Cygon has been one of the best chemicals for scale - you can literally paint some cygon concentrate on a camellia trunk and eradicate all the scale on the whole bush...
Can you still buy cygon in Florida?
AFAIK it's been banned once existing stocks are gone...

Found scale on my Yellow Petra and Fiesta. I had just looked at my Fiesta just last week and there was nothing. I spent all day checking my plants and treating with Malice. It appears that Spring is trying to make an appearance.

Who was it that said they had no luck using coffee grounds? I'm surprised because I've seen good results with using it on my wamin bamboo. A scale magnet! So far (knock on wood) I have not seen scale on my crotons.

What really suprised me was the newest found croton scale had no ants in attendance. That is a first for me. I usually look for ants crawling on the plants rather than looking under leaves. Just got off the phone with waykoolplantz and he has recently found a couple crotons with scale so he just finished treating all his crotons.

I urge every croton lover on the SE Coast to check your plants. My plants are starting to push new leaves and this is what the scale loves to attack. :mad: