Wiki photos

annafl

Esteemed Member
I've been fooling around with the wiki and I think, with much patience and help from Dean, I finally might be able to do a couple of simple things on it. I am still slow and learning.

I'd like to go through the forum and try to fill in the wiki as much as possible from your spectacular photos. I will go through and try to select photos of crotons whose identities seem agreed upon by the membership, and those that show as much of the plant as possible. I'd like to credit each of you for your photos if that's ok with you. If not, please let me know now that you don't want your name on them or that you'd rather have your forum user name on it instead. I can always go back and edit if you change your mind. I don't know all of your surnames, so I might be PM'ing you to ask.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions along the way.

Thank-you all, I hope I will learn from this as I go along. Wish me luck, and thanks again, Dean!

Ana

I would appreciate it if some of you all would check up on my work to make sure photos are representative of the named croton so the work is correct. Thanks.

Done-

Bonita-Jerry Shilling
Flamingo- Marie Nock
Jerry Shilling
Yellow Iceton- Scott McIntosh
Limelight- Jerry Shilling

Looks great,thanks for the update

I would appreciate it if some of you all would check up on my work to make sure photos are representative of the named croton so the work is correct. Thanks.

Done-

Bonita-Jerry Shilling
Flamingo- Marie Nock
Jerry Shilling
Yellow Iceton- Scott McIntosh
Limelight- Jerry Shilling

More new ones tonight:

Royal Flush-Ron Kiefert
Zulu, synonym Noblissima- Tim kwtimo and Peyton Walton
Nervia-Randy Wiesner
Doris(2)-Marie Nock
Kentucky-Phil Stager
Stoplight-Toby Rose

Daisy's Pride, Coppinger's Hybrid, Earlscourt, Compte de Castellaine, Voncilla Barley, Dolores, Eleanor Fischler, Exotica, Stained Glass, Playboy, and Tiffany are all photos by Jerry Shilling of Judy Glock's plants.

Thanks, Randy.

Today's entries:

Acubaefolium-Lamar
John Bender-Lamar and Ron
Blotched Wooten's Beauty-Lamar
Excellent-Lamar
Peace-Lamar
Andreanum-Lamar
Caution Light-Lamar
Bravo-Donroberth
Gold Dust-Donroberth
Gloriosa-Donroberth
Punctatum-Donroberth and Scott McIntosh
Pink Eburneum-Ron and Ricky
Eburneum-Ron
Heaven-Ron
Multicolor-Ron
Princess Eugenia-Ron
Raphael-Ron
Madame Butterfly-Toby
Sybil Griffin-Toby

Last ones for today:

Red Quill-Jerry Shilling, Rick Leitner, and Toby Rose
Andreanum-Jerry Shilling and Donroberth
Excellent-Donroberth
Compte de Castellaine-Jeff Searle
Stewartii-Photo by Randy Weisner of Judy Glock's plant, and Scott McIntosh
Victoria's Gold Bells-Photo by Scott McIntosh of Phil Stager's plant
Thomas Edison-Photo by Scott McIntosh of Phil Stager's plant

***I hope someone is checking my entries for correct id's! Please!

Today's entries:

Maculatum Katoni-Lamar Sapp
Spirale-Jeff Searle
Ben Alexander- Jeff Searle and Croton1
Goldfinger-Jeff Searle
Madame Fernand Kohl-Jeff Searle and KingDavid
Royal Flush-Jeff Searle
Cornelius Halgrim-Phil Stager
Dreadlocks-Peyton Walton
Jean Frances Fascell-Mike Woolery
Yellow Petra-Mike Woolery
Stewartii-Ron Kiefert

Is Madame Fernand Kohl really Fernand and not Fernando or Ferdinand?

Ana,

I've often wondered the same thing. This same problem arises when you consider other croton names like Madam Butterfly. The actual name should probably be Madama or Madame Butterfly. If one uses Dr. Brown's 1960 book as the croton bible (and many of us do), then these unusual spellings must be taken as gospel. I have a feeling these are just mispelled words and Ferdinand and Madame are what was actually intended. This of course is just my two cents worth.

By the way, the old book spells it Madam Fernand Kohl.

Good point, Ray. I hadn't even noticed the discrepancy in Madam. Fortunately it's spelled correctly in the wiki.

Marie, I don't know how to add new names to the wiki so I'll have to wait till Milky Way has a name entered. I'll email Dean soon. Can anyone think of any other new names we need in the wiki?

Last entries for today:

John Burnett-Photo by Jerry Shilling of Judy Glock's plant
Mercer-Marie Nock and Ron Kiefert
Duncan Macaw-Jerry Shilling, Ron Kiefert, Rick Leitner, and Jeff Searle
Coppinger's Hybrid-Jerry Shilling
Congo-Jerry Shilling
Della McGee-Jerry Shilling
Helen Edge-Rick Leitner and Tim O'Donnel
Victor Limone-Jeff Searle and Rick Leitner
Corot-Rick Leitner
Arthur Howe (2)-Marie Nock
Warrenii/Jensenii (2) Marie Nock
Amabile (2) Marie Nock
Yellow Duke of Windsor/Marigold-Ron Kiefert and Rick Leitner

If someone would pay particular attention to the Victor Limones. The two plants seem to be quite different. Just wanting to make sure they're right. I've never seen the plant. Thanks.

Ana, Here's 2 more. thanks again.

1st 2- Recurvafoliam
2nd 2- Weismanii DSC_0061.jpgDSC_0049.jpgDSC_0053.jpgDSC_0054.jpg

I think I'm going crazy. I posted today's entries in another post!

Here they are:

Candy Cane(2)-Randy Weisner
Weismanii(2)-Randy Weisner
Recurvifolium(2)-Randy Weisner
Sunray-Ray Hernandez
Edwin T. Meredith-Ray Hernandez
America-Ray Hernandez
Miami Beauty-Lamar
C.I.Craigin-Ray Hernandez
Blotched Jungle Queen-Marie Nock
R.L. Farquhar-Marie Nock and Photo by Jerry Shilling of Judy Glock's plant
John Criswick-Marie Nock
General Marshall-Phil Stager
Van Houtii-Phil Stager
Gonzales (only 1, I still need someone to turn the third Gonzales photo right side up)-Phil Stager
Jean Frances Fascell-Phil Stager
Nevilla-Phil Stager
Krakatoa-Phil Stager
Jester-Phil Stager
Lucille Alonzo-Phil Stager
Juliette Delarue-Andy
Mini Cascade-Andy

Entries today:

Madam Butterfly (second form)-Randy Weisner
Gonzales-Phil Stager
Rooster's Tail-Marie Nock
Pappey-Jerry Shilling
Nancy-Jerry Shilling
Davis1-Allan and Ron Kiefert
Mons Florin-Phil Stager
Nancy-Jerry Shilling
Sunny Star-Ron Kiefert's photo of Mike Woolery's plant
Rudy Bachman-Mike Woolery
Diane-Scott McIntosh
Major Dade-Jerry Shilling
Chief-Mike Woolery
Mike Fascell-Ron Kiefert
Green and Gold-Ron Kiefert
Davis 7-Ron Kiefert
Lt. Paget-Lamar Sapp

Last ones for today:

Twist and Turn-Marie Nock
Leota-Marie Nock
Ellen Rutherford-Marie Nock
Picasso's Paintbrush-Scott McIntosh
Evansius-Jerry Shilling
Cornbread-Jerry Shilling
Cronstadt-Jerry Shilling
Applause-Jerry Shilling
Earlscourt-Ron Kiefert
Daybreak-Ron Kiefert
Commotion- Ron Kiefert and Jerry Shilling
Duke of Windsor-Ron Kiefert
Ethel Craig-Jerry Shilling
Baron Le Compte-Jerry Shilling and Jeff Searle
Mosaic-Jerry Shilling
President Eisenhower-Jerry Shilling
Green and Gold-Jerry Shilling
AFD#5, Fantasy, Fantasia and Karen-Jerry Shilling
Cardinal-Jerry Shilling
Hot Tub Pink-Jerry Shilling
Glen Roof-Jerry Shilling
Tiger Eye-Jerry Shilling

Hot Tub Pink ,I think that is one of judys key west crotons if im not mistaken,
Moose, guess what its next too
then again my memory is not what it used to be!

Ron, it's in one of Jerry's threads. Use the search function, I think it's the only one in the whole forum. It looks amazing and has been near the top of:eek: my wish list since the day I saw it's photo. If you find one, please let me know where! Ana

Moose, Andy is correct. This was an unknown croton growing next to our hot tub. I put that name on it just to help me remember its source. Some say it might be "Christmas", but I have that one and it does not appear to be the same. So the name Hot Tub Pink stuck. If someone can confirm another name it is OK with me!

Ana, Jim will put on an air layer for you tomorrow!

Moose, Andy is correct. This was an unknown croton growing next to our hot tub. I put that name on it just to help me remember its source. Some say it might be "Christmas", but I have that one and it does not appear to be the same. So the name Hot Tub Pink stuck. If someone can confirm another name it is OK with me!

Ana, Jim will put on an air layer for you tomorrow!

Speaking of air layers Judy - I have yet heard a response from you regarding my proposed trade for the Pam Kiefert air layer I have going. The other has already been traded for. Please shoot me a PM. ;)

Woohoo! Thanks so much for the Hot Tub Pink Marie and Jim!

Today's entries:

Super Petra-Ray Hernandez
John Criswick-Allan
Exotica-Keith Hanks
Puccini-Keith Hanks
Tugboat Annie-Keith Hanks
Yellow Red Quill-Keith Hanks
Yellow Stoplight-Marie Nock
Cornelius-Marie Nock and Phil Stager
Blotched Corot-Marie Nock
Polychrome-Phil Stager
Jungle Queen-Phil Stager
Cornbread-Phil Stager

Last entries for today:

-Deleted the questioned id of Excellent

Added last ones for today:

Nellie Halgrim-Ron Kiefert
Ortegas Hybrid-Jeff Searle, Andy Finlayson and Judy Glock
Eleanor Fischler-Jeff Searle
Colonel Lindbergh-Jeff Searle
Geisha Girl-Phil Stager
Prince of Orange-Randy Weisner, Mike Harris (photo by Ron) and Judy Glock
Columbiana-Randy Weisner
Louis Dupuy-Randy Weisner and Judy Glock
Wilma-Randy Weisner and Judy Glock
Red Spider-Marie Nock
Faye Miller-Ron Kiefert
Coppinger's Hybrid-Mike Harris
Sunrise-Mike Harris
Rapture-Jeff Searle
Polychrome-Jeff Searle
Nestor-Rick Leitner
William Craig-Judy Glock
Arrowhead-Judy Glock
Bimbo-Judy Glock
Three Toes-Judy Glock
Bonita-Judy Glock
Wilma-Judy Glock
Carribean Star-Judy Glock

Ana,

What a great job your doing! This takes lots of time and patience. I need to get my lazy butt out in the yard as there are several crotons I have that pictures are needed. I have casually looked over the list and would like to recommend a few changes that I think need to be made. Please feel free to add your own comments.

Pig in a Blanket.......delete. This turned out to be Wooton Beauty

Rapture........Photo of Ray's plant turned out not be Rapture based on Bob Alonzo's conversation.

Bushmaster.......delete.

Thanks Randy!

Thanks for checking on some, Jeff. I'll do that today.

Today's entries:

Columbia-Judy Glock
Marie Dressler-Keith Hanks
Marigold-Ron Kiefert, Rick Leitner and David King
Yellow Duke of Windsor-David King
Picturatum-Phil Stager
Flamingo-Randy Weisner
Kiss and Tell-Randy Weisner
Inca-Randy Weisner and Jerry Shilling
Rheedii 3-Phil Stager and Ron Kiefert
Stained Glass-Jerry Shilling
John Burnett-Jerry Shilling
Zanzibar-David King
Candy Cane-David King
Nervia-David Reid
Ethel Craig-Andy Finlayson
Mrs. Edison-Jeff Searle
Edwin T. Meredith-Jerry Shilling

Last ones for today:

Queen Emma-Randy Weisner
Albicans-Randy Weisner
Krakatoa-Randy Weisner
Dreer 7-Ron Kiefert and Jeff Searle
Davis 87-Marie Nock
Sybil Griffin-Ron Kiefert (Ramble)
Red Spider-Ron Kiefert (Ramble)
Kentucky-Robertico Heredia
Buddy-Robertico Heredia
Maculatum Katoni-Robertico Heredia
Fred Sanders-Robertico Heredia
Bravo-Robertico Heredia
Mrs. Iceton-Jerry Shilling
Irene Kingsley-Jerry Shilling
Captain Kidd-Phil Stager
Yellow Mammie-Scott McIntosh
Tiger Eye-Rick Leitner
Angel Wing-Ron Kiefert
Blotched William Jennings Bryan-Ron Kiefert
Delicatissima-Ron Kiefert
Blotched Wooten's Beauty-Ron Kiefert
Pinocchio-Ron Kiefert

Jeff, I spoke with Dean and he feels synonyms to other names should not be removed from the encyclopedia. Hence, he left Pig in the Blanket.

Today's entries:

Angustissimum-Allan
Johannis-Allan
Island Breeze-Ron Kiefert and Jose Lopez
White Ann Rutherford-Ron Kiefert and Jose Lopez
Charles Rutherford-Ron Kiefert and Allan
Pop's Yard-Jeff Searle and Ron Kiefert
Irene Kingsley-Allan
Columbia-Ron Kiefert
Sybil Griffin-Allan
Batik-Scott McIntosh and Allan
Golden Glow-Allan
Piecrust-Allan
FDR-Allan
Exotica-Marie Nock
Stoplight-Robertico Heredia
Super Petra-Ricky Ginsburg
President Reagan-Ricky Ginsburg and Andy Finlayson

Hi Ana,

I don't think they should be removed but they should be lumped under the proper name. To have multiple, distinct entries and then have the same photo for both is not the way to go. Under "Pigs In a Blanket", I'd have "see Wooten's Beauty". I would cross reference to the accepted name where the only photo of that plant would appear. That said, you are doing a fantastic job and don't want to discourage you. Dean has his opinion and I have mine. Proceed as you see fit.

Ray

Well, I totally disagree. The name Pig in a Blanket was placed on a previously named croton, Wooton Beauty by who know's who. As my small Pig in a Blanket that I acquired years ago grew up, it was very apparent that it was nothing more than Wooton Beauty, an older established named croton. Others noticed this too. The same goes for Sloppy Painter. This named was applied years ago to Eleanor Roosevelt and does nothing but confuse people. The croton, Stain Glass has a another name that is recognized, and that's John Burnett. Sorry if I misspelled his last name.

I do not have control over deleting entries that are already there. Apparently, it is an action that can only be done by administrators, I surmise. I have brought this point up (Pig in a Blanket) with Dean and he'll have to decide what to do. I have to ask him every time an entry has to be deleted.

What I've been doing is to add any new photos to names that are synonyms. I cannot get old photo entries from one entry and add it to another entry, and that's why you see the synonyms don't have the same number of entries necessarily if some of them are old. Now, I can delete photos. If you'd rather I redirect to the main name, please let me know specifically, which should be redirected to which and I can do that easily.

I don't see this as a crucial point and I don't have a strong opinion one way or another. I'd like to avoid controversy. What I see important is that the correct id's are placed with the names, and I pretty much have to rely on all of you to check my work. Also, that a variety of correct presentations are added to each name so variations can be appreciated. So, please let me know how to proceed with the synonyms (specifics, please), and I'll be happy to do it! That's a great list of synonyms, Ray. Thanks all. Ana

Last ones today:

Rubens-Rick Leitner and Randy Weisner
Captain Kidd-Rick Leitner
Sweet Marie-Rick Leitner
Norman Rockwell-Rick Leitner
Blotched Raphael-Marie Nock and Photo by Toby Rose of Judy Glock's plant
Princess Eugenia-Toby Rose, Chris Mayhew
Carribean Star-Ron Kiefert
Commotion-Ron Kiefert
Red Foot-Ron Kiefert
Rex-Ron Kiefert
West Wall-Ron Kiefert
Petra-Robertico Heredia
Lyratum-Robertico Heredia
Dayspring-Robertico Heredia

Well, I totally disagree. The name Pig in a Blanket was placed on a previously named croton, Wooton Beauty by who know's who. As my small Pig in a Blanket that I acquired years ago grew up, it was very apparent that it was nothing more than Wooton Beauty, an older established named croton. Others noticed this too. The same goes for Sloppy Painter. This named was applied years ago to Eleanor Roosevelt and does nothing but confuse people. The croton, Stain Glass has a another name that is recognized, and that's John Burnett. Sorry if I misspelled his last name.

Let me throw out a few observations from someone not a involved with Crotons - but involved with trying to develop a useful tool for those wishing info on Crotons.

- There is no such thing as a "recognized" name. If there is, please tell me the source (like Kew is for palms) that has done the botanical research to separate the cultivars. As I understand it - there never will be - nor can there be. There will always be differences of opinion regarding these names. And like Ti Plants, as other countries become more involved, there will be different names for the same plant in each country. There will never be a "central" authority." The wiki may become such a central "go to" reference. So we can only do our best.

- As Jeff said, things will be bought under one name and then years later they will be recognized as something else.

So, what to do. Unless Jeff and Ray and everyone else is willing to keep everything always up to date, then things are going to always be confusing - because they are always going to be changing. My opinion is that all old, incorrect, controversial names should remain in the lexicon - for one main reason. If I am a new collector and see a Croton I would like to buy under a name like "Pig in a Blanket" - what should I do. So I go to the Croton Encyclopedia and look up "Pig in a Blanket." It's not there, so I am excited and buy this "new" cultivar. I am sure there are other names that have been used for some cultivars, and other cultivars that are constantly confused with others.

I would suggest what I think was suggested a while ago. That is, have a section under what we can agree on is the first or most used name for a cultivar. This AKA section would include names that are sometimes given to this same named cultivar. There could also be a section named "OCW - Often Confused With." It should be noted that any of you can register for the wiki and can edit any of these pages to add this info.

At least in this solution, if someone placed "Pig in a Blanket" in the Search Box the result would pup up that there is a reference to it on another page. They could go there and see either that it is an AKA for another cultivar, or and OSW for another cultivar and make up their own mind. But to be deleting all references to names that have been used through the years is not going to help anyone.

Let me throw out a few observations from someone not a involved with Crotons - but involved with trying to develop a useful tool for those wishing info on Crotons.

- There is no such thing as a "recognized" name. If there is, please tell me the source (like Kew is for palms) that has done the botanical research to separate the cultivars. As I understand it - there never will be - nor can there be. There will always be differences of opinion regarding these names. And like Ti Plants, as other countries become more involved, there will be different names for the same plant in each country. There will never be a "central" authority." The wiki may become such a central "go to" reference. So we can only do our best.

- As Jeff said, things will be bought under one name and then years later they will be recognized as something else.

So, what to do. Unless Jeff and Ray and everyone else is willing to keep everything always up to date, then things are going to always be confusing - because they are always going to be changing. My opinion is that all old, incorrect, controversial names should remain in the lexicon - for one main reason. If I am a new collector and see a Croton I would like to buy under a name like "Pig in a Blanket" - what should I do. So I go to the Croton Encyclopedia and look up "Pig in a Blanket." It's not there, so I am excited and buy this "new" cultivar. I am sure there are other names that have been used for some cultivars, and other cultivars that are constantly confused with others.

I would suggest what I think was suggested a while ago. That is, have a section under what we can agree on is the first or most used name for a cultivar. This AKA section would include names that are sometimes given to this same named cultivar. There could also be a section named "OCW - Often Confused With." It should be noted that any of you can register for the wiki and can edit any of these pages to add this info.

At least in this solution, if someone placed "Pig in a Blanket" in the Search Box the result would pup up that there is a reference to it on another page. They could go there and see either that it is an AKA for another cultivar, or and OSW for another cultivar and make up their own mind. But to be deleting all references to names that have been used through the years is not going to help anyone.

Well said Dean! I learned today that my Nervia is really AFD#9, but looks nothing like my AFD#9 from Hawaii.