Wierdness with the Mango

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Such an unusual warm January & February that I believe it induced my Hayden Mango to bloom early. The fruit set and then the cold came in March. It appears that those cold events induced it to bloom again. :confused: Photos were taken 03/23/2013.

Attachments

• Hayden mango 1.JPG
    Hayden mango 1.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 395
  • Hayden mango 2.JPG
    Hayden mango 2.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 385
  • Hayden mango 3.JPG
    Hayden mango 3.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 399
It happened to the Keitt variety as well. This is a late season mango and is way ahead of schedule. If they hang on until August (nornal harvest time) they may swell to monsters.

Attachments

• Keitt mango 1.JPG
    Keitt mango 1.JPG
    322 KB · Views: 369
  • Keitt mango 2.JPG
    Keitt mango 2.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 359
Here are some more photos of the Keitt taken a little awhile ago. Look its still flowering !!!

Attachments

• Keitt 1.JPG
    Keitt 1.JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 325
  • Keitt 2.JPG
    Keitt 2.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 344
  • Keitt 3.JPG
    Keitt 3.JPG
    335.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Keitt 4.JPG
    Keitt 4.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 329
The Hayden also continues to flower. This is an anomoly for South Florida but it is not unique to the Moose Land. I've seen many cultivars all over Coral Gables with fruit and flowering for the second time this year.

Attachments

• Hayden 1.JPG
    Hayden 1.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 347
  • Hayden 3.JPG
    Hayden 3.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 343
The Hayden has been setting little fruit from the second flowering so far. However they often abort at this size. I broadcast some 12-4-12 palm special fertilizer and gave a supplemental feeding of K-Mag in March when I first noticed the second flowering. This may convince momma to carry the second fruiting to term? :confused:

Attachments

• Hayden 2.JPG
    Hayden 2.JPG
    354.8 KB · Views: 374
The Mangos seen in post #4 ended up at the Garden Tour at Flamingo Gardens April 28th.

Today at the private school where I work, we had Moms eat Breakfast with your child to celebrate Mothers Day. From this same mango tree, 70 mangos were cut up and served with the breakfast. The Mommies were very happy campers! ;)

Bumper crop on the Keitt mangos in the Moose Land this year! :eek:

Attachments

• Keitt Mango 1.JPG
    Keitt Mango 1.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Keitt Mango 2.JPG
    Keitt Mango 2.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Keitt Mango 3.JPG
    Keitt Mango 3.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 352
  • Keitt Mango 4.JPG
    Keitt Mango 4.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Keitt Mango 5.JPG
    Keitt Mango 5.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 362
I'm still green with envy MooseMan. Greedy It's Mango season again here and after checking roadside trees when I pass by it always seems as if the fruit on the ground has something wrong with it - from insects to what I think is some kind of bacterial spotting.

And my little tree, planted two years ago, is picking up speed. But I'm not even sure I'll get Mangos, as we have two much persistent moisture. However, my Mango is supposed to be a kind that will tolerate wet conditions. But no telling how the fruit will be as it is from seed and noticeably different looking than the typical Mango. I should have planted my Mango and Avocado when I first moved here. Arghh

I shouldn't have opened your post before breakfast. My mouth is watering.

Hey there Moose Man...... have been familiar with this thread.... only today realized it was 2013..... but to be brief, my Keitt I just noticed two days ago has bloom spikes coming out all over!!!! Especially exciting for me in that it's a new intro to my yard an garden, so first time it's flowered!!!!! YIPPPPEEEEE....

Hey there Moose Man...... have been familiar with this thread.... only today realized it was 2013..... but to be brief, my Keitt I just noticed two days ago has bloom spikes coming out all over!!!! Especially exciting for me in that it's a new intro to my yard an garden, so first time it's flowered!!!!! YIPPPPEEEEE....

Mark - I gave the Keitt a pretty decent pruning when she started flowering early this year. It makes no sense to have mangos higher then I can reach with a picker on a 8 ft ladder. Keitts falling from such a height is a waste of a big mango. Some of the Keitt mangos in the past were too fat to fit in the picker. Use an extendable saw and have my son play catch with those. The Keitt is already supporting mangos the size of plums. The Arctic Storm Octavia front induced her to flower a second time, may be a decent crop on a tree that has 1/3 of its canopy removed.

The Haden has mangos also that should be full size by mid May. Its also flowering a second time. I get stupid quantities of Hadens that are a pain to pick. I gotta pick them or I end up with trespassers who trample my crotons and other understory plants. They also pull down branches leaving more work for myself.

Last edited:
This is the first time it has flowered.... 6 or eight small limbs from 6 to 12 feet tall.... so...we'll see just what it puts forth fruit wise.... still just a youngin....

Here is my Haden, mangos plus secondary flowering. Very old tree, over 50+ years. It was a huge tree when I bought the place over 20 years ago. Looks like another bumper crop again.

Haden.JPG

My Nam Doc Mai mango had a great yield this year. Two days ago, I was walking around the tree and notice bloom sets. In August?! I'm not sure if it will actually set fruit or not, but I'm going to give these some time to see if they develop.
20150807_121059.jpg
20150807_121113.jpg

Moose here using Jeff's computer. Just brought Andrea some big Keitt mangos from my tree. They barely could be squeezed into the fruit picker basket. I foresee some Mango salsa getting made.

:mooseman

Ron....those mangos you brought over yesterday were the bomb! Andrea was so happy because now we can take a few up to Indiana when we go visit her grandma soon.

And Tim, that does seem unusual for your tree to set new blooms this time of year. Keep us posted on if any fruit set.