what a difference a year makes

pocomo

26/03/10
This croton was one of the nicest in the yard. The cassia, trunk in background, died over last winter ( the sulfer butterflies continually ate it and the cold finished it off) leaving no shade. Then my neighbor must of weed and feeded the croton nearly to death. Any way I would like to know the name of it.Second pic is now. Tried to shade it with spanish moss ( thought maybe it would shade lower leaves) but didn't seem to work. Ya think. lol . I really liked that plant. I do have other pieces but none as nice.
Chris

Attachments

• P10503561.jpg
    P10503561.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 132
  • P10801001.jpg
    P10801001.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 102
Chris - I do not know what the name of that croton from last year. Your current photo is known as the cultivar Deadlocks. :p Just kidding, perhaps someone with a superior croton eye would care to chime in.

Maybe the Croton Guru would like to attempt an ID other than "unnamed hybrid" ? :rolleyes:

Chris - I do not know what the name of that croton from last year. Your current photo is known as the cultivar Deadlocks. :p Just kidding, perhaps someone with a superior croton eye would care to chime in.

Maybe the Croton Guru would like to attempt an ID other than "unnamed hybrid" ? :rolleyes:

LOL not me thats your job :rolleyes: Im sure you will find a colorful name for it.

Chris,

That's pretty unfortunate to see the decline this croton went through. My guess would be that if this plant was in some more shade, it would probably be an awesome looking plant. As far as an id goes, maybe Kentucky? But I'm very unsure on my guess. But thankfully you have some peices of it growing and the plant won't be lost.
Jeff

Chris - Did the pieces root? Are there any mature leaves that may aid with an ID? :confused:

Please post some photos if you can. I am curious as to what was the croton that met its demise. :(

Actually I made no more cuttings but I will now. Amazingly the plant has come back and my newest effort was to plant a little cassia or senna at its base, you can see it in the bottom right, hoping in not too much time it will give the croton the shade it deserves.

Attachments

• p1090615a.jpg
    p1090615a.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 86
Come on Chris, get some instant shade on that poor thing, and throw a heap of fertilizer on it now, the rains will do it wonders. And treat it as if it's the last known plant......get some cuttings going!

Jeff

Well it was looking better but now it's got the scale and I'm working on getting rid of that. Ahhhhh! All in time. Chris