Waterfall - anyone growing this cultivar

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Waterfall.jpg
I got this from Jeff Searle. :cool: I have never heard anyone mention this cultivar "Waterfall" on this forum. It is not mentioned in either of Dr. Frank Brown's books as well. Is anyone else growing this one? It has been a real slow for me. ;)

Last edited:
It looks a lot like Chief which has a good deal of variability from leaf to leaf; hard to tell from pic about leaf size; it also resembles Hot & Steamy which has bigger leaves than Chief. Nice plant!

Here's a few pics to confuse matters a bit... L to R
1. Gen Marshall
2. Chief
3. Chief
4. Hot and Steamy - thought I lost this one but it's coming back slowly

Attachments

• DSCN2581.jpg
    DSCN2581.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN2583.jpg
    DSCN2583.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN2584.jpg
    DSCN2584.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN2582.jpg
    DSCN2582.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 82
Before it died, my General Marshall was slow growing with a low, spreading growth habit. The consistant pink tones were very attractive.

I got this from Jeff Searle. :cool: I have never heard anyone mention this cultivar "Waterfall" on this forum. It is not mentioned in either of Dr. Frank Brown's books as well. Is anyone else growing this one? It has been a real slow for me. ;)

Ron,

Your plant is really looking great now. The colors are amazing! I don't remember where exactly I first got this croton. But when the tour of "experts" came through a few years ago, nobody said they could put a name on it. So I did.:) if someone comes along and can convince me it's an old named variety, I would be glad to change it to the older existing name. I am 100% sure it's not Chief, but is very close to Hot and Steamy.

Maybe that's why we need a croton tour through the jungle soon.....

Here is a better photo with better lighting of Waterfall. Jeff and I were looking very hard at some Hot & Steamy cultivars today and we agree that the coloring may be quite simular. Mine does not have as large of leaves, but that may be a growing condition. How fast is Hot & Steamy as mine is very slow. We may need to revisit this one in a year and see what "Waterfall" looks like then? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Waterfall.jpg
    Waterfall.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 102
Waterfall 4.jpg
Waterfall 5.jpg
Here are some photos I took this afternoon. I am not sure this is Hot and Steamy. I think it is distinct cultivar = Waterfall.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This was one I wished could have been resolved ID-wise with Bob Alonso and Mark at the Glocks Holiday Social. I think we overloaded the guys as it was. We are going to have to persuade Mark and Bob to come to another meeting like the Glock's! :cool:

I've added the page Waterfall & the pics to the WIKI. Should we get a different ID later, the page can be moved. In the meantime, you can post notes on the discussion tab.