Voaniola's Freaky Heel

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
This palm is still somewhat of a mystery in that it is so slow growing that none of any size are growing outside of habitat. If that is not the case, I sure would like to know. the largest one I have seen (in the Sullivan Garden) only came up to my waist.

This one is about 10 years old (from seed) and is ready for the ground. I noticed it had developed this unique looking heel and thought I would try and document it for general interest or comments. Have any of you seen similar looking heels?

Attachments

• DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0253.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0255.jpg
    DSC_0255.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_0257.jpg
    DSC_0257.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 207
huh... mine's got a heel, but I haven't really inspected it too much. 10 years from seed? man...

Yep, it's crazy slow.

I may be imagining things, but I'm thinking I may have seen a similar type heel (kind of a wrap around "cocoon" model) on a Becarriophoenix I had.

You are not imagining things Dean, my Beccariophoenix madagascarienis has the same heel look.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 223
It looks like a Dypsis mixed with a Copernicia texture wise..

PS- Ralph Velez had a big one in his greenhouse. I meant to ask him where he got it and how long he's had it...

Dean, all of the larger Copernicia roots I've seen are really ugly/ malignant looking. Kinda like scrunched up rats tales.. mix those with a Dypsis heel.. Voila! err, I mean Voaniola!