Very Disturbing Croton Newsletter!

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Mike Harris (Waykoolplantz) and I got the opportunity to visit John Bender's old garden this past summer. The renters had not even thrown the switch to the irrigation system in 3 years. :mad: Coupled with the previous harsh winters, it was looking very, very sad. The remaining crotons looked to be on life support. Mike and I tried to envision what the garden looked like in its hey day.

Seeing the photo of John Bender's garden from May 2008 on page 18 (last page) of the Newsletter was shocking and disheartening to me. Having never seen it in its glory days, viewing this photo was very disturbing. :(

Has anyone saved any photos of John Bender's garden from the good old days? Please post them if you got 'em. :eek:

I was forunate to make a few visits to John Bender's garden when he still lived there, pre-Hurricane Wilma and then went back after he had sold the house and saw the conditions that had evolved due to neglect, the lack of irrigation and more so, the loss of so much tree canopy that had provided shade. That last visit really gave me a sickning feeling and from that day on, I knew there was no reason to ever go back.

I've had similar conversations with Judy Glock over the years in regards to Robert Halgrim's garden. She was Robert's physical therapist for many years and enjoyed how beautiful his garden was at it's peak. When I made my first and only visit while Mr Halgrim was still alive (99 years old ), the garden and it's collection was in very poor condition. It was pretty sad, and I just wondered how beautiful it had once been. Judy often tells me that it was prestine.