Underutilized Tropical Color

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
This plant grows like a weed here in Hawaii. And I hear it will even grow in SoCal. If so, it is a very underutilized plant. Easily propogated, easily trimmed, no bugs to speak of (yet), and you can't miss it when it is blooming. In between blooms it is a lush green addition to the landscape.

Sorry, forgot the name. Can anyone help?
Tropical Color.jpg

Thanks Bren - Someone mentioned it is also called Brazilian Red Cloak. I wish there were some other colors since it grows so well, so fast.

For those who want "real" names, it is Megaskepasma erythrochlamys - say that one five times real fast. Brazilian Cloak works for me. ;)

When you posted the photo Dean I told myself "that plant would look great in the garden". I blew it off as I figured it would not like the winter temps here. Was I ever wrong, as I had the pleasure of seeing this plant in a garden near me today. The plant was about 10' tall with a spread of about 9'. I was told that they had had it for years and our cold will not kill it.

Scott,

Sometimes too good to be true works. :)

Someone showed me a great looking huge plant growing in SoCal. And I would guess you have better growing conditions than they do. But nobody grows it there either - undoubtedly using the same logic.

It's expensive and I think a winter bloomer. So in Cali any light frost would take away the blooms for another year. I was bummed out that Wigandia's blooms are very tender to frost even if the plant looks fine.
Dean,I have Clerodendron quadriloculare -Philippine Firecracker. Its going into its second winter. I'm shooting for blooms this winter/spring. Its another nice tropical shrub- purple undersides to leafs and spectacular blooms...easy for you in Heaven.
Hayward is sort of a more marginal soucal.

It's expensive and I think a winter bloomer. So in Cali any light frost would take away the blooms for another year. I was bummed out that Wigandia's blooms are very tender to frost even if the plant looks fine.
Dean,I have Clerodendron quadriloculare -Philippine Firecracker. Its going into its second winter. I'm shooting for blooms this winter/spring. Its another nice tropical shrub- purple undersides to leafs and spectacular blooms...easy for you in Heaven.
Hayward is sort of a more marginal soucal.
Stan,
I don't think I have seen Clerodendron quadriloculare in Hawaii - but I sure would like to give it a try in my slightly cooler location. Looks like a winner.

Thanks Dean! I found a Red Cloak! I believe now at a excellent price (29.99). Plant is about 4' x 3' and looks pretty good for sitting in the sun all summer at the nursery. The sales guy said his boss will be in tomorrow and will sell it at a lower price now that it is not in flower.

Thanks Dean! I found a Red Cloak! I believe now at a excellent price (29.99). Plant is about 4' x 3' and looks pretty good for sitting in the sun all summer at the nursery. The sales guy said his boss will be in tomorrow and will sell it at a lower price now that it is not in flower.
Good deal Scott - and I have no idea, but I have a feeling you might be able to start cuttings fairly easily from this guy.

Good deal Scott - and I have no idea, but I have a feeling you might be able to start cuttings fairly easily from this guy.
I feel as I stole it! But a deal is a deal at 14.99. I have read they root easy and it will need to be shaped up a bit.
pizap.com14456229289211.jpg

It grows easily and successfully here in New Port Richey, with my bush reaching fifteen feet easily. This year it began blooming in August and is just now dropping old flowers. I hack it back come Christmas. Easy to grow, easy to root. I do feed it often, which I believe helps it bloom earlier. Tampa Bay zone 9b