Top Ten "Starter" Crotons

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Here is a list of the Moose's recommended crotons for the beginer. Criteria: (1) Ease of growth (2) Beautiful colors (3) Hardiness (4) Availibilty.

I feel its important that a "newbie" experiences early success. Starting off with a slow growing and tempermental cultivars can be frustrating.

The list is not in any order of importance.

1 Stoplight
2 Stewartii
3 Rheedi
4 Andreanum
5 Van Buren
6 Pride of Winterhaven
7 Nestor
8 Bravo
9 Eleanor Roosevelt
10 General Padget

Did I miss any? :confused:

Oh Brother! I do not have Stewartii or Van Buren! Does this mean I don't graduate from Newbie status?

Also, I forgot to mention how nice it was to meet your better half - Pam - I'm glad she joined us for the auction. I'm still picturing her counting all the dough collected on the new cultivar: "Pam Keifert" :D

Oh Brother! I do not have Stewartii or Van Buren! Does this mean I don't graduate from Newbie status?

Also, I forgot to mention how nice it was to meet your better half - Pam - I'm glad she joined us for the auction. I'm still picturing her counting all the dough collected on the new cultivar: "Pam Keifert" :D

Help is on the way, I have a Van Buren with your name on it. It can be found in all four corners of the assylum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 63
Help is on the way, I have a Van Buren with your name on it. It can be found in all four corners of assylum

Wow - thank you very much!

As was obvious from my little offerings at the auction, I am baby-stepping through the process of bringing my plants up to "sharing" status. I look forward to having some nice trades after this summer!

Can we replace General Paget with Frankin Roosevelt or Wooten's Beauty? Gen Paget and Stewartii are mite magnets while Wooten's Beauty just keeps on keeping on. I'd also find a spot for Yellow Excurrens. It's not the prettiest plant but won't frustrate the beginner. It's cold hardy and fairly fast growing. Maybe throw Thanksgiving in their too. Nothing is easier than Purity.

My top 10 for beginners:
1. Maculatum Katoni
2. Aureo Maculatum
3. Petra
4. Yellow Excurrens
5. Thanksgiving
6. Purity
7. Andreanum
8. Franklin and/or Eleanor Roosevelt
9. Stoplight
10. Wooten's Beauty

Walking around the yard this morning, and saw it's once again time to trim and shape my "Piecrust." I have numerous cuttings started from continually having to trim back "Piecrust." I really like this one, and it is one of my firsts. I've shared it with many. This is my submission for the "starter" croton list - it fits all the criteria Moose laid out. :D

Diane would make a great starter Croton. Easy to grow and giant leaves.
IMG_1507.jpg