Thee most cold tender croton

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
Anyone heard of a croton named Super California? Well if you see one, don't buy it. I'd had small specimens years ago that died at 40F. The ones Home Depot carried were always discounted because of how crappy they looked mid winter. I finally found another nice one two years ago and it lived in my greenhouse throughout the winter. This year it was garaged due to lack of space in the greenhouse. After the December cold snaps, the main stem of the 3 in the pot is now dead. It died so quickly that all of the leaves were still attached and the trunk had already lost all semblance of green color. Even last year during the bad January cold, most of the croton trunks (after defoliation) stayed green for awhile before dying. Not so with this plant. The entire trunk had turned black with all leaves still attached. This is the most cold tender croton bar none. I've tried it with about 4 different plants over the last 7 years and the outcome is always the same

Loews has dozens of Magnificent with one or two leaves on a three-gallon plant. All their other Crotons looked fine after the last cold blast.

I find revolutions to be the least cold tolerant. Lost one last winter in a very protected spot, so I planted another one 2 feet from the house and it got zapped in December. None others, other than magnificent, got hurt.

Thanks Ray, I am crossing Super California off my want list. This is my second try growing Magnificent and it is not looking good now.

I take back what I said above. I had a chance to do some yard work yesterday and look closer. (veen busy and out of town). I have a lot of damage to my croton collection. Picasso Paintbrush/Zanzibar and a few others looked to be snipped back to the ground. Hopefully they recover.