The World Famous Hayward Mango.

Another year for the WFHM. The fruit production has gone from 3 last year to 9 this year. Size appears to be the same if a bit plumper and no creases or wrinkles. The larger older root system is paying off.View attachment 32384 View attachment 32385
Well that's exactly nine more than I got this year. But watch out, my tree is overhead know and is starting to grow very quickly. Whether I get any fruit or not is another question. But it's a beautiful tree either way.

Dean there is a internet article out there about spraying a mango tree with potassium something to get non bloomers to bloom. I have a feeling,you won't need that.
And if MOOSE is out there..has he heard of Mangoes that make larger fruit as they become larger tree's? Or is that size I'm getting pretty much it and a statement of "Hey,Stan,yer in the bay area don't be greedy?"

Dean there is a internet article out there about spraying a mango tree with potassium something to get non bloomers to bloom. I have a feeling,you won't need that.
And if MOOSE is out there..has he heard of Mangoes that make larger fruit as they become larger tree's? Or is that size I'm getting pretty much it and a statement of "Hey,Stan,yer in the bay area don't be greedy?"

A healthy tree will produce larger fruit but there are limitations. A mango cultivar that typically produces 18 oz fruit may start having some 24 oz size fruit. They won't start growing 4 pounders. Stan not sure about the potassium. I use it on my mangoes (granular fertilizer supplement) but that is because Florida soils are mostly devoid of potassium. I probably put down 300 lbs of K-mag annually throughout my garden.

My Baileys Mango "root stalk tree" turned out to have fruit that looked and tasted like Baileys. Two (3?) years ago I posted a photo of the tree (on garden web) after a freak cold weekend had killed the then potted Baileys to below the graft. You could clearly see the grafted part dead. When it re-sprouted I thought a few times to yank it out as I was worried it would be a long wait and after that might not even be good fruit. It grew much in ground,fruited last year a trio. This year 9,and I waited longer to pick. Darned if they didn't turn the same tan-orange color of Baileys and taste sweet.
Photo's of it in 2012 with fruit are identical to what I was calling root stalk until this summer.
You think its really a root stalk of Haden that looks much and tastes much like Haden? as Haden is part of the parentage of Baileys.
Interesting too? The cold that killed the potted tree to nearly the ground,was repeated this New Years Day,and not a single leaf was singed on the now in ground tree. So,when it comes to cold hardy..healthy root systems make a big difference,over a potted plants limited soils.

Just re-read this Stan. Hawaiian soils are said to be deficient in Potassium. Since I noticed the telltale signs, and started using K-Mag, I noticed my palms really respond and green up. I'll be dumping some on my Mango now too.

Here it is in Sept 2017. Almost a tree!
IMG_7799.jpg

With fruit...

Attachments

• IMG_7765.JPG
    IMG_7765.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_7768.JPG
    IMG_7768.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 293