The Tale of Two Windsors

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
From the very first time I saw the Duke of Windsor in Frank Brown's Book, Crotons of the World, I knew I had to have one. Finding one proved to be a little more difficult than I had anticipated.

Seeing one at a Searle Brothers Extravaganza, I snatched it up. Later I posted a photo of it on this forum. The ID was questioned and Jeff had commented that he did not have any available at his sale. It was a very nice looking croton, so I kept it and would hopefully find an ID for it later.

Determined to have a "true" Duke of Winsor for my garden, I acquired one from Marie Nock. It got planted.

When a garden tour was held at Mike Harris' place in May, I schlepped the croton I got from Jeff there. With so many experienced Croton Eyes there, I felt certain someone could ID the plant seeing it in person. Phil Stager saw it and without hesitation said "Duke of Windsor". Keith agreed and the consensus, including Jeff, was it was a Duke of Windsor.

It was my intention to trade my second Duke of Windsor for another cultivar I did not have. I could not bring myself to letting it go. It got planted as well.

The one from Marie Nock was positioned where it gets morning sun and a dappling of light for the remainder of the day. I decided to position the plant from Jeff where it has morning shade, some pretty heavy sun 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, then some diffused light - but gets shaded in the later part of the day when the sun rays are their strongest.

The first three photos are of Duke of Windsor from Marie. The last two photos are the plant from Jeff. I feel that both look way better than the photo in the book. :eek:

I love to bust Jeff's "Jewels" saying that he made me pay $50 for a Duke of Windsor since I had to buy one twice. :rolleyes: LOL :D

Attachments

• Duke of Windsor 3 (JS).jpg
    Duke of Windsor 3 (JS).jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Duke of Windsor 4 (JS).jpg
    Duke of Windsor 4 (JS).jpg
    273 KB · Views: 113
  • Duke of Windsor 2 (MN).jpg
    Duke of Windsor 2 (MN).jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Duke of Windsor MN1.jpg
    Duke of Windsor MN1.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Duke of Windsor MN2.jpg
    Duke of Windsor MN2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 120
Here is the Third Windsor. There is a tale to go along with this plant as well. Today you just get the photo. :)

Yellow Duke of Windsor :cool:

Attachments

• Yellow Duke of Windsor.jpg
    Yellow Duke of Windsor.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 116