265.8 KB · Views: 129
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 127
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 125
Ricky,

Thanksgiving is known to put out branches that all of a sudden have the blotched sections. It can be quite pretty. But yes, Thanksgiving can have many looks to it.

Yeah very bad with my limited space and most importantly, SHADE. :mad:

I may have to buy a new home just for my croton collection :D

Since Thanksgiving is only a few days away, I've bumped this thread back to the top, hijacking my own thread to give you:

Turkey Tips
Ricky Ginsburg

Just so there's no doubt as to my qualifications - I've been cooking turkeys for over 40 years, probably cook around twenty a year. Here are three tips for making your turkey a successful investment:

1. Start the bird cooking breast side down. Cook it that way for the first half of your total cooking time (i.e. if you need 4 hours to cook the turkey, cook it 2 hours breast down.) Take the turkey out of the oven, flip it quickly, and put it back in to finish cooking. All the juices will have soaked into the white meat, along with all that flavor! You'll never dry out the breast meat if you do this.

2. Carving the finished bird. Remove the dark meat - all of it - drummers, wings, thighs, butts - and set them on a platter. Take a small knife and separate the breast meat from the breastbone (that white triangular chunk that runs the length of the breast.) Slide the knife in between the ribcage and sever the connections to the meat. Last, slit the meat from the tail and neck so that the breast meat is free. Lift the entire breast - as a single unit - and place it flat on your cutting board. Slice across the breast, making pieces 1/2” to 5/8” thick. Again, the white meat will stay moist and everyone gets a narrow sliver of skin (where all the flavor hangs out!)

3. The greatest stuffing in the known universe - cut between 6 and 12 potatoes into chunks and boil them. Don’t peel the potatoes; that’s where all the nutrients are! While the potatoes are cooking, sauté three large onions in chopped pieces. Cut the crust off a loaf of white bread and cut the bread in half, twice. Mash the potatoes, onions, bread, and four cloves of chopped garlic in a bowl. Add two sticks of melted butter or margarine that’s had a teaspoon of cayenne pepper mixed in to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Stuff the turkey, all cavities and let it cook.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My stuffing is cornbread based. I use turkey stock made from the giblets, butter, granny smith apples, walnuts, pecans, dates, raisins, celery and onions. I rarely get to eat much because my family devours it so fast. My 25 lb. bird is waiting for me in the fridge. I don't lightly fill the cavity, I cram it in until I hear the ribs start to crack. ;)

I no longer cook the stuffing in the bird, unfortunately, but it still comes out good from the stove top. The reason is the cooker we've been using for a little over a year:

This is the Orion Barbecue Cooker, a convection cooker that heats to 700 degrees from a single bag of charcoal. You cook turkey in it at 7 minutes per pound and get the most moist, tender meat, and crispy skin you have ever tasted. Moose, your 25 pound turkey is going to take around 5-1/2 to 6 hours in the oven. In the Orion, it would take a total of 2 hours and 55 minutes.
I bought mine at Ace Hardware for $139.

The turkey sits on a heavy-duty stainless steel pyramid inside the cooker with a drip pan below it. And when I said 2 hours and 55 minutes, I'm not saying, "Oh, around 3 hours." At 2 hours and 55 minutes you get the finished bird out of the cooker or it will start to dry out. Literally set it and forget it until the timer goes "ding".

51gYYQx3mjL._SS400_.jpg

Well - the bird weighed in at 33 lbs. after the stuffing was added. Roasted completed in 6 hrs. & 45 minutes in a covered roasting pan. The breast came out very moist. Tons of delicious stuffing was produced. Stuffed acorn squash and butternut squash was mouth watering. The Turnips Au Gratin was incredible! :p

Here is a shot of Jeff's Blotched Thanksgiving he posted in another thread 6 months ago. :) After the mild winter and amazing wet season - I am sure it is stunning right now. Sure wish we could persuade Jeff into posting an updated photo. :rolleyes:

Ricky,

Thanksgiving is known to put out branches that all of a sudden have the blotched sections. It can be quite pretty. But yes, Thanksgiving can have many looks to it.

Attachments

• Blotched Thanksgiving.jpg
    Blotched Thanksgiving.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 84