The ants go marching one by one..

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Am I the only one who has a trained nose to smell ant infestation? They are heavy in the yard right now. I feel like I might be bringing them in with bagged mulch. That said, I walked around tonight squishing scale & now after washing my hands 5 times, my hands still stink & my finger tips are stained orange. Yuck!###
I read up on an organic soap called basic H that supposedly kills ants. I tried organicide & it attracts my dogs & stinks to high hell too. Didn't work. This soft scale is evil stuff

Try a product called Amdro for the ants. It is a granule that you shake around the infestation. I have had excellent results with this rather inexpensive product. You should be able to purchase it at your local box store. Getting rid of the ants will help you out a lot.

Hi , what I use for scale is 1 cup of alcohol, 1/3 cup of dishwashing liquid (lemon essence and not anti-bacterial). I wash plants once and if it has a heavy infestation then I wash the plants three days continuously. This is good to do once a month. I don't use Merit because I like to keep the butterflyes, dragon flyes and bees around my flowers.
I hope this helps.

Jose do you use a sprayer,let it sit then hose if off? I'm trying to stay organic for my dogs. They forage too much. I'm going tp try sprinkling DE too.

Yes, I use a 1 qt. sprayer. I forgot to tell you that you mix all those ingredients with water. I leave on the plants until I water the next day. You do not need to wash off.

Ron, I get what you are saying but they are on trifexis, so it's spinosad. I went out and bought a 3 gal sprayer last night. I'm going to give Jose's concoction a shot on Saturday and sprinkle a bit of DE around some select plants. We got some good rains last night so hopefully that quelled the spider mite activity a bit too.