Shade Loving Crotons

kwtimo

22/05/10
I was trying to come up with a list of reliable, good performing, shade loving crotons. Without putting a ton of thought into it I came up with these:
Claude Lorraine
Mosaic
Ms. Iceton/ Yellow Ms. Iceton
Helen Chaite
Geisha Girl
Nestor
Raphael
Voncillia Barley
Van Buren
All of these have been very rewarding for me in shady conditions. What cultivars have worked well for you in shade?

Good morning this is a nice Helen Chaite I got from Marie about three years ago.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nervia, Madame Butterfly, Pinocchio, Doris, Eburneum, Lucha, Johanna Coppinger and Rudy Bachmann are a few others that seem to be producing nice color in quite a bit of shade in my gardens. I agree with Polychrome and Claude Lorraine being excellent in shade. I also like Stoplight and Irresistible in the shade but they are primarily black and red, losing much of their bright colors. I have several of the plants that I bought this year that went into shaded spots but it is too early to judge them.

Thanks, Lamar and Tim. It has an interesting leaf shape.

Now, how would this list change if we said 'does best in or prefers pretty significant shade?' In my limited experience, some of the ones we're talking about tolerate and do pretty well in shady conditions, but only a very few of these actually prefer and do best in shade as opposed to partial shade or part sun. I'm thinking maybe Claude Lorraine, Mrs. Iceton and Polychrome? Of course, I'm someone who tends to give my crotons too much light, and have difficulty wrapping my head around the fact that some crotons have much better color in shade as opposed to part shade or part sun. What do you all think?

I am working on a project and did some online research trying to define sun growing conditions and the meaning of the conditions. Looks like full sun (6+ hours) and dense shade (no direct sun at all) the findings agreed on. The other conditions I averaged from the findings, part shade ( 2- 4 hrs direct sun no mid-day direct sun) or (all filtered sunlight all day ), full shade ( 2 hrs or less direct sun, preferably early morning or late evening). :confused: How do you define sun growing conditions?

Ana, I feel like it just takes a lot of trial and error over time to see what varieties do best on where you place them. More shade is better than more sun I feel. I agree with many of the choices mentioned above. Especially Polychrome and Claude Lorraine. Also Princess Eugenia does great in low light along with Compte de Castellaine, General Lawrence, Fathers Day and many more.

Anna, I knew that this list had the potential to be a bit confusing. What I am going for with it is that when people ask me what cultivars can they use in the shade (shade for me is little to no direct light or all day filtered, the lack of direct light is the key for me here. It doesn't have to mean cave like conditions. ) I can provide them with a list of options that will undoubtedly look great in these conditions. There is no questioning the fact that many cultivars are adaptable to a multitude of light conditions, some just take some figuring out like Jeff said. Keep in mind that every garden and every property everywhere are vastly unique, and trial and error are part of the process. The same can be said for each gardener, or whomever is tending to the plants. We all have our own methods of how we look after our plants, which in turn effects the outcome of the overall health and happiness of them. I know there are plenty of folks who have looked at this thread and have not added cultivars to the list. This is just a way to try to solidify some agreed upon information and experience that could be added to the WIKI.

I grow Mrs. Iceton in different sun conditions thru the garden. Mrs. Iceton looks best to me in part sun. The shade grown (no direct sun, all day filtered ) lacks the deep pinks. I have found the yellow and green colored Crotons not picky about sun conditions and do well and look great in shade as well as full sun. 1st pic here part sun/ 2ed shade.
IMG_0243.JPG
pizap.com14354986631351.jpg

Thanks, Tim, Jeff and Scott. I do realize it does take some trial and error, and I am experimenting a bit now that I have the opportunity with a couple of extra air layers. Tim, I will put some of the information we get into the wiki eventually. Thanks for thinking of it, and thanks to all that are participating.

Great post! I enjoyed seeing the comparison photos of the full sun vs. partial shade. Your work will be very useful to me when I set out these same varieties in my garden:Weeding1.gif. Thanks again!

I put the wrong pic in #18. That one is Lillian Stoffregen. Here is the Edwin T Meredith.
pizap.com14356517311281.jpg

I was trying to come up with a list of reliable, good performing, shade loving crotons. Without putting a ton of thought into it I came up with these:
Claude Lorraine
Mosaic
Ms. Iceton/ Yellow Ms. Iceton
Helen Chaite
Geisha Girl
Nestor
Raphael
Voncillia Barley
Van Buren
All of these have been very rewarding for me in shady conditions. What cultivars have worked well for you in shade?
I forgot to mention:
R.L. Farquar
Rheedi
Commotion
Stained Glass
Reubens

Got a Rheedi in the neighborhood in full-blazing sun and it looks good (except for occasional frost/freeze event); mine look much better with some direct sun.

Phil, this is another one of many cultivars that can look great in a multitude of settings. I was real impressed with its ability to perform so well in low light conditions. But I have also seen some gorgeous plants in a good amount of light. Thanks for your input.

What do you all think about Arrowhead and Limelight? Do you think these perform best in shade or part sun. Do they perform reliably well in shade?
My Arrowhead only gets filtered light all day ,,,Seems to like it . More yellow in the Sun , more white in the shade . I like the Whites