Richard Krukonis at Jeff's Sale

I have seen a very secret hidden spot in the nursery where there are at least 100 Richard Krukonis well over 3 feet tall. Rumor has it that these will be doled out one at a time as to not to flood the market and drive the prices down.

Jim, WTF, why are you telling everyone about this! now Jeff will have to get another gaurd dog to patrol this area at night!

I have seen a very secret hidden spot in the nursery where there are at least 100 Richard Krukonis well over 3 feet tall. Rumor has it that these will be doled out one at a time as to not to flood the market and drive the prices down.

You see Jeff, you thought Mr. Moose was starting the rumor. :rolleyes:
It was Glock all along! :eek:

I've seen Jeff's pics of it. Is this a hybrid by Richard Krukonis or is this a sport off of one of Davis' cast-offs that he wound up with? From Dr. Brown's book, he's not mentioned as a hybridizer but more of a collector.
I'm assuming from Ricky's response that he's since passed away. What has become of his vast collection/property?

The property is in a neighborhood east of I95 and south of 163rd Street. I've never been on the actual lot, but there used to be a bunch of Crotons growing through the fence. The surrounding neighborhood has all sorts of rare specimens, but also a fair share of crime. I found a massive President Reagan growing in front of this house where an old, rusty Buick was up on cinder-blocks in the yard. No answer at the door, so I gave it a good trim. I also found a whole corner of one lot that was filled with William Craig.

OK,

Someone has to fill in all the blanks on my new "must have" plant. :)

Why aren't there cuttings available? And who's going to send me one? :)

To the best I know, Richard was mostly a collector and did build up a very nice collection on his property. I was extreamly lucky and was able to get into the property about 10 years ago and get many cuttings. And as the "story goes", Ralph Davis did send probably hundreds and hundreds of seedlings down to him that HE thought had no potential.
As far as the naming of the variety, Richard Krukonis, I'm not sure if it was a seedling that came from the Davis yard, or a seedling that came up under Richard's plants or what. Probably the only person alive today that would know would be, Dr Frank Brown. I just put a call into him and hope to hear back from him soon. I seriously doubt that it was a sport off of another croton.

The day I spent in the old Krukonis garden, I noticed the Richard Krukonis plant was in very bad shape, all sticks, and very few leaves. The homeowner actually knew the history of the property, and heard of his name,and how rare this plant was. I asked him if I could get a cutting or two, but he refused. That was the only plant he wouldn't let me cut.

Surprise! I just got a call back from Frank and had a nice conversation with him. This was the first time since he broke his hip a couple of months ago. He told me he's recovering very well and getting around with a cane. I asked the history on this plant,RK. He said the croton grew up from a batch of seedlings that Ralph had sent down. Frank did say that Ralph sprouted hundreds and hundreds, and when he felt the ones that had no potential, he sent pots and pots full of these down the street to him. He also said that almost all of the plants there on the property were never named.

I drove down there about 3-4 months ago with Rob, but nobody was home and I never got a phone call from the note I left on the gate/mailbox.

The property is in a neighborhood east of I95 and south of 163rd Street. I've never been on the actual lot, but there used to be a bunch of Crotons growing through the fence. The surrounding neighborhood has all sorts of rare specimens, but also a fair share of crime. I found a massive President Reagan growing in front of this house where an old, rusty Buick was up on cinder-blocks in the yard. No answer at the door, so I gave it a good trim. I also found a whole corner of one lot that was filled with William Craig.

Thanks for the heads up on the location Ricky. This was a great middle class neighborhood up until the late - 1980's. I visit this area ocasionally and will proceed with recon operations next time. :rolleyes:

Isnt Delicatissima and Zanzibar the same thing?????

I'm not positive either, Rob and Ray, but I would agree that their the same. Zanzibar is one of those new name that came along a few years back. Right when the market was flooded from them coming out of Central America. We need to look at one each, side by side.

Zanzibar - the birth place of Freddy Mercury from Queen!

"We Will Rock You" will be the theme song of the Moose entering the gates at Jeff's Sale.

There is another rumor that a Richard Krukonis will be mixed amongst all the cultivars at the sale. It will be tagged with a price but no name on the tag. Some lucky person may come away with this rare culitvar, like the golden ticket in Willie Wonka! :eek:

At least that is what Jim Glock said. :rolleyes: