Please Stand By - First CRA of 2014 Pics are coming!

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
On New Years Day morning, the gardens of Mike Harris (Waykoolplantz) and Randy (Palmisland) were visited. Took some croton photos. I gotta finish the palm thread first. I planned on posting back and forth, creating two different threads at the same time. Just too many pics - the Moose would have gotten confused.

If you are into palms, click on the Palmpedia logo above, then head down to the General Palm Discussions area.

After going to bed at 2:30 am - the Moose is up and at 'em at 6:30 am putting bags over croton containers to control spillage and/or leakage. I learned this method from Keith. These crotons are heading to Randy's (palmisland) to be given to Ricky (fawnridge) for the Palm Beach Zoo project. I use my tailgate as a work bench.

Attachments

• Dawn 1.JPG
    Dawn 1.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Dawn 2.JPG
    Dawn 2.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 110
Thanks to Moose & Mike for the visit. I love getting lost in the garden with interested guests. The Claude Lorraine Moose brought already replaced another of the same that was a poor example of the cultivar. This one's a beauty.;)

The plan was to meet at Mike Harris' place and proceed to Randy's garden. Here is my arrival at the Harris compound gate. I'm actually early, a first for me so I wait until 7:31am to alert Mike of my arrival. That way my streak of being late can continue.

Attachments

• M #1 Gate.JPG
    M #1 Gate.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 115
  • M #2 Gate.JPG
    M #2 Gate.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 125
Upon arrival - Mike informed me that our schedule needed to be altered. Jeff Searle was planning to make the trip with us. Unfortunately, Jeff stayed up way later welcoming in the new year than he had planned. He did get up but was just too beat, he gave Mike a courtesy call to let us know not to wait for him. This did not hold us up - it was the bagel shop. Mike went there to get fresh bagels at 7:00 am and found they were not going to open until 8:00 am. We had time to kill so I grabbed my camera. We made our way towards the pond to feed the fishes.

Attachments

• M #21 pond Koi.JPG
    M #21 pond Koi.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 113
  • M #20 pond Koi.JPG
    M #20 pond Koi.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 117
  • M #19 pond Koi.JPG
    M #19 pond Koi.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 104
I came across this Black Beauty. Its still pretty dark so the photos aren't the best. Its good to see one of the "old growth" Black Beauties doing so well. The "old growth" plants have larger, longer, tighter spiraled leaves.

Attachments

• M #29 Cr Black Bty.JPG
    M #29 Cr Black Bty.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 113
  • M #30 Cr Black Bty.JPG
    M #30 Cr Black Bty.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 119
  • M #31 Cr Black Bty.JPG
    M #31 Cr Black Bty.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 117
Different strokes for different folks. The interrupted leaves always get my attention. I think this one is called Black Thai.

Attachments

• M #36 Cr Black Tai.JPG
    M #36 Cr Black Tai.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 112
  • M #37 Cr Black Tai.JPG
    M #37 Cr Black Tai.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 115
  • M #38 Cr Black Tai.JPG
    M #38 Cr Black Tai.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 110
Another interrupted leaf shape. I have this same cultivar as Purple Appendiculatum. The original Appendiculatum is an all green croton. Then there is Mother & Daughter that has darker leaves with red blotches. Some have said that the Purple Appendiculatum is really Mother & Daughter. I remain unconvinced, believing they are distinct cultivars.

Attachments

• M #39 Cr Purple App.JPG
    M #39 Cr Purple App.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 117
  • M #40 Cr Purple App.JPG
    M #40 Cr Purple App.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 114
I really love the colors on this Duke of Windsor. Its getting close to 8:00am - so its off to get our fresh bagels.

Attachments

• M #43 Cr Duke of Wind.JPG
    M #43 Cr Duke of Wind.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 116
This is embarrassing, I asked Randy what this was. It's the nicest colored up Multicolor I've ever laid my eyes on. Randy's leaves are much more robust than what I have in the Moose Land.

Attachments

• R #8 Cr Multi.JPG
    R #8 Cr Multi.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 127
This is Pink Lei. I believe that Marie Nock may have acquired this cultivar on a trip to Hawaii, introducing it into Florida gardens.

Attachments

• R #9 Cr Pink Lei.JPG
    R #9 Cr Pink Lei.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 114
The Moose was running on only 3.5 hours of sleep. The croton eye was nearly totally unresponsive. Please forgive me for not having some ID's.

Like this one. Corot perhaps? :eek:

Attachments

• R #10 Cr Unk.JPG
    R #10 Cr Unk.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 116
There is not a whole bunch of these around, Faye Miller. Its slow growth rate may be the cause that has kept it uncommon.

Attachments

• R #13 Cr Fay Mil.JPG
    R #13 Cr Fay Mil.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 118
Here is a definite unknown. It remains an unknown in Moose Land as well. Someday we may find out what it's historical name is. For now, Unknown #22 from Frank Brown's Garden.

Attachments

• R #17 Cr Unk #22 FB.JPG
    R #17 Cr Unk #22 FB.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 129
While Randy is brewing the French Roast and mike is setting up the bagel bar - I am enjoying the ambiance of the Court Yard. :cool:

Attachments

• R #26 Rhap Ex.JPG
    R #26 Rhap Ex.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 110
  • R #25 Court.JPG
    R #25 Court.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 110
  • R #24 The office.JPG
    R #24 The office.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 111
  • R #23 Court.JPG
    R #23 Court.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 117
  • R #22 Court Y.JPG
    R #22 Court Y.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 109
Look at the view through the living room's glass sliding doors., its like peeking into a rain forest.

Attachments

• R #29 Trop View back.JPG
    R #29 Trop View back.JPG
    264.7 KB · Views: 117
  • R #30 Trop View back.JPG
    R #30 Trop View back.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 123
Tan Wi Kiat, the namesake of this cultivar was in attendance at the Glock Garden Tour in Fort Myers, FL.

Attachments

• R #35 Cr Tan Wi Kiat.JPG
    R #35 Cr Tan Wi Kiat.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 128
Oh, we found the Royalty section. All hail to the Monarch

Attachments

• R #45 Cr Monarch.JPG
    R #45 Cr Monarch.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 114
  • R #46 Cr Monarch.JPG
    R #46 Cr Monarch.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 115