Pink Floyd

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Pink Floyd is a name I stuck on this Red Sister seedling a few years ago. Pink Floyd has 13" x 4" leaves that emerge a very pale pink with a darker pink underside showing a pronounced green center leaf vein. The overall pink colors are lost on the leaves as the leaf ages only showing pink highlights on older leaves.
Img_8408.jpg
Img_8410.jpg
Img_8411.jpg
Img_8414.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to cordylines. I took a teaching job in Vero Beach about 4 years ago and have now been landscaping with tropicals for about 3 years. My focus has always been on variegated plants (including while gardening for 20+ years in Rhode Island), so I started with crotons and when I starting getting over-run by scale I switched to cordylines. Have gotten the scale under control with treatment, but am hooked on cordylines now. I have gotten some from vendors at plant sales in botanical gardens around the state and recently started to order stem cuttings from Hawaii. Aside from developing your own from seed, such as Pink Floyd which is quite impressive, where do you find new varieties? I am a bit obsessed with getting more plants and have not found many sources for new cultivars. I looked through many of your postings and you have a spectacular variety. I have not gotten to the point where I am finding seed on my plants, because many have not been in the ground very long, so can't create my own yet. I thought I would check with you, before I order more cuttings from Hawaii, to see if there are any Florida sources.

Thanks,
Karl

Karl - don't give up on the crotons. You can grow them with your Ti's like Scott does. There are treatments that your can do to combat the scale. I know it frustrating at first - we've all been there.

Love to see you pop in and say high on the croton forum. http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/forums/the-croton-society.26/

Thanks Moose.
I have not given up on the crotons. I still add a few to the collection when I find something really different and many of mine really had a great year and put on some nice growth. I will always be mixing the two, but at the moment the cordylines have got my attention. I will definitely check out the croton forum as I am interested in finding sources and recommendations. I just dread the day when I run out of space. For now, I still have plenty of lawn to tear up so new gardens can go in.

Welcome Karl ! Nice to hear from another Florida collector. You are on the right track to find the different varieties you want. Ordering logs from Hawaii will give the best selection as it is hard but not impossible to find different varieties here in FL. Botanical plant sales are great as are some of the smaller mom and pop nurseries. When you get a chance it will be nice to see what you are growing.

Here is the top cutting that was removed from Pink Floyd 3 years ago. This is the first leaf that has shown the colors that are close to those of the mother plant.
Img_8725.jpg
Img_8727.jpg