Philodendron giganteum

Crazy for Crotons

29/06/09
I acquired a Philodendron giganteum recently and love how it looks. How much light, water and cold can this beauty take? Do the leaves get larger or smaller in shade? I also acquired a P. stenolobum and help with that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Ray,

Nothing secret about the P. giganteum. I have always seen it here as a climber on a large tree, and doing well with the shade, shelter, and moisture contained in such an environment. It does want and needs to climb on something to get the giant leaves. It appears to be a fairly strong grower - no idea on cold hardiness however.

The P. stenolomum is a slightly different animal. But first you must discover if you have the true P. stenolomum. Here is a link to a detailed page with photos, and some valuable info.
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron stenolobum pc.html

Ron and Dean,

From what Marie described and the info I've found online, P. giganteum is more tender to cold than most Philos. Fortunately, most Philodendron make great house plants. I can see this specimen inside for an extended stretch mid December through mid February.

Ray

Ray,

Do you have any Oak Trees? Those would be perfect hosts for some philos. The extra protection of the canopy, plus "hugging" the trunk would provide many degrees of warmth on cold nights. I think you could get away with much more than you think.