Pentagonia - Red Form???

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
Hopefully someone can tell me something about this unbelievable new tree I purchased from a collection this week. There is not much about this genus on the web, and doesn't seem to be anything on this particular species.

Attachments

• Pent3.jpg
    Pent3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,075
  • Pent1.jpg
    Pent1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 580
  • DSC_0716.jpg
    DSC_0716.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 639
  • Pent2.jpg
    Pent2.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 566
There is nothing much on Pentagonia at all on the net. I have Pentagonium macrophylla rubra. I will try to take photos sometime today or tomorrow, depending on how I feel (coming down with a cold from my 2.5 years old :mad:). It is not quite a tree... I have seen quite a large one at Arden's place in Cairns. I grow mine in the shade and I keep it moist with my calyptrocalyx. I found that they don't like being in pots, so the sooner you plant them out the better.

Regards, Ari :)

Looks totally new to me. No recollection of anything close to it. Ari, give us an idea how large it grows.

These are the ones at Arden's place. They are probably around 3m?? Not sure, I know they are taller than me. I am not too sure how old they are though.. I might ask next time I talk to them. They are not super fast though. Mine hasn't grown much in the last year I put it in the ground.

Attachments

• PICTU300_sm.JPG
    PICTU300_sm.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 711
Ari,

Thanks for the pic. I am assuming you think that is the same species. It sure does look like it to me. I am also assuming those are in pots. Is that correct?

At any rate they appear to be plenty happy in the shade. I am unfamiliar with "Arden's place." How would you rate the climate there?

I don't think they are in pots... I might have to ask them. Cairns is wet tropical. Very similar to Darwin, but it doesn't really have distinct dry/cool season. It has higher annual rainfall too. Things that burn in Darwin might not burn in Cairns. A lot of stuff grow better in full sun than here. Perfect place to grow tropicals beside equatorial tropics, of course.

Dean,
I am not so sure that they are the same species. That is the only species I am familiar with and I have successfully grown. Although, my specimen is nowhere near as big as that.

That plant is beautiful ! I wonder how it would do in zone 10 a. I got a couple of big oaks :)

Thanks for posting the pictures.

It hasn't been a rocket, but it's starting to look better. I don't baby too many things and perhaps this is one I should have. My biggest complaint is that I have a thrip that likes to get on the backside of the leaves and mess it up a little. But it is slowly looking better. I'll get some pics. Did you happen to see the big one in this presentation? http://palmpedia.net/Video/Ho%27owaiwaiSS/index.html

Here's one of the pics in that slideshow. There is closeup at slide #10.
Jeff1.jpg

Jude, I'm sure there are lots of things you have never heard of. I still see stuff all the time that I haven't seen before. And I've been around the block a few times.

Have you ever been to the tropics???

Can't say I have, except for South Florida. I attempt to visit there once or twice a year - but not this year (yet) - but would love to do more travelling down the line!

There will be a Pentagonia wendlandii, which is what this tree is, up for auction at the Tropical Fern and Exotic Plant Society's Annual Plant Auction on October 26, 2015 at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. The auction begins at 7:00 pm in the Garden House (enter through the South Gate). The auction is free and the public is invited to attend. The event has been called the best rare plant auction in South Florida.

I have had the same problem Dean, very hard to find info on the genus. I have several that look like the same thing, smaller, bought as P macrophylla. Mine are smaller but new leaves are the same.

I have had the same problem Dean, very hard to find info on the genus. I have several that look like the same thing, smaller, bought as P macrophylla. Mine are smaller but new leaves are the same.

I've found the most information when I do a search on Pentagonia wendlandii rather than just on Pentagonia.

I can now confirm that the seed I have is viable. And I just took another look at this pic. I would be willing to bet that the little sprout you see in the "crown" is a seedling. Of course, at the time I just pulled it out, thinking it was a weed. But is is very "Pentagonia looking" - and looks just like some sprouted seedlings I remember seeing somewhere.

Attachments

• post-11-0-52340600-1441581075.jpg
    post-11-0-52340600-1441581075.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 610
Last edited:
I will as soon as I have some. The last pod didn't ripen. However, a new vendor (who may start listing soon) may have some.

As a note: I can confirm the seed was good and had good germination.