Palms in Mombasa.

Those are tough ones Harry. I have no idea. The second one is a very stretched out specimen, so nothing like it would be if grown in full sun. It looks very different than it should. The first one is just too difficult to name with any certainty. Sorry - maybe someone else is willing to take a stab at them.

I have some other people taking a look at them - so stay tuned.
View attachment 31309
View attachment 31310

Last edited:
Those are tough ones Harry. I have no idea. The second one is a very stretched out specimen, so nothing like it would be if grown in full sun. It looks very different than it should. The first one is just too difficult to name with any certainty. Sorry - maybe someone else is willing to take a stab at them.

I have some other people taking a look at them - so stay tuned.
View attachment 31309
View attachment 31310

Harry - the first looks like it could possibly be a Washingtonia robusta. The second is very stretched out and I suspect the trunk is not as thick as it could be if it had more sun exposure. Best I can guess is that it looks like some sort of Syagrus, just can't ID the species.

Sorry, its the best I can do for you.

Welcome Harry! I will take a stab at the first photo and go with a Brahea maybe B. edulis.

Scott - a Brahea was my first thought as well - but the flower spike was suspect for me.
Moose - as you already know, you were way off :Wacky But I did briefly consider a Syagrus as well.

Harry, further review has come up with the first palm being a Livistona rotundafolia, and the second, Dypsis madagascariensis - both in less than optimum form.

Last edited:
Scott - a Brahea was my first thought as well - but the flower spike was suspect for me.
Moose - as you already know, you were way off :Wacky But I did briefly consider a Syagrus as well.

Harry, further review has come up with the first palm being a Livistona rotundafolia, and the second, Dypsis madagascariensis - both in less than optimum form.
Is it back to Livistonia rotundafolia again? I thought it was now Saribus rotundafolia.

The second looks like a Chaemedorea plumosa grown in the tropics!
The first I thought was some kind of Livistona. Or,Pritchardia.

DSC_0707[1].jpg DSC_0710[1].jpg DSC_0711[1].jpg
Hi,

Here are some more palms in Mombasa that I hope you guys can help identify. Sorry about the picture on the left. I took it in intense sunlight.
Thanks.

Harry - you are going to find that in order to ID palms it is usually necessary to have several photos, including close-ups of the leafs, crownshaft area, and flowers/seeds (if available). Are there thorns, silver on the backside of leaves - are the leaf tips pointed or some other shape, etc. - all give clues as to ID.

As you may have seen, there are many thousands of palm species.

But having said that - I'm guessing #2 above is Phoenix reclinata.

dypsisdean- thank you for the pointers. I will endeavor to post more pictures in the next couple of days.

Of the last three..the first I'm guessing is an Oil Palm of some kind,the middle Phoenix reclinata,the third resembles Manila palm..but probably not it. I've seen it all over tropics as a popular palm. Never in California.

Maybe the last is a Carpoxylon. If it has a swollen base that would be it.

I'm afraid I have not been able to get back to the area where I took the photos of those three specimens.
Today, I saw two more palms(I'll call them A and B that I cannot identify. Anyone know these?See pictures below:

A.
DSC_0715[1].jpg

DSC_0716[1].jpg
DSC_0717[1].jpg
B.
DSC_0718[1].jpg DSC_0722[1].jpg DSC_0724[1].jpg
I'm sorry my camera phone could not zoom to the crown and the sun also happened to be all around, so you can't see the flowering and seeds.

Harry,
You are throwing us some difficult ones. The smaller palm is tricky, because it is probably a cross between to variations of the same species. Sometimes palms/plants are "officially/scientifically" the same species, but may look very different. And example would be roses - they are all the same species, but look at all the different variations.

So, your first palm looks to be a Dictyosperma - but possibly a cross between D. album and D. album var. conjugatum. You can see both in Palmpedia.

The large fan palm I can not ID. 1) I am not very good at fan palm IDs. There are many that look similar without the necessary positive clues that would assure a correct ID. And not knowing Kenya, and what are the most common palms there, I am at a big disadvantage when it comes to fan palms with less than ideal photos. But maybe someone else will hazard a guess.

Dypsisdean- Thank you. I'm so sorry about the photos. I just sort of happened on these palms while working. I should carry a more capable camera with me from now on.

Harry,
You are throwing us some difficult ones. The smaller palm is tricky, because it is probably a cross between to variations of the same species. Sometimes palms/plants are "officially/scientifically" the same species, but may look very different. And example would be roses - they are all the same species, but look at all the different variations.

So, your first palm looks to be a Dictyosperma - but possibly a cross between D. album and D. album var. conjugatum. You can see both in Palmpedia.

The large fan palm I can not ID. 1) I am not very good at fan palm IDs. There are many that look similar without the necessary positive clues that would assure a correct ID. And not knowing Kenya, and what are the most common palms there, I am at a big disadvantage when it comes to fan palms with less than ideal photos. But maybe someone else will hazard a guess.

Dean and Harry - looking at the large fan palm that Harry posted, Sabal causiarum or Sabal dominguensis comes to mind.

Just enlarged the photo, seeing the little car in the background for scale - its a Borasus, probably a aethiopium which is native to tropical Africa.

Hi Moose, dean, everyone,

I got the seeds and I doubt that it is B.aethiopium.
DSC_0730[1].jpg

Allow be to go off topic. I saw this photo on the home page today and I'm wondering which palm this is:
398px-Flab.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Moose, dean, everyone,

I got the seeds and I doubt that it is B.aethiopium.
View attachment 31527

Allow be to go off topic. I saw this photo on the home page today and I'm wondering which palm this is:
398px-Flab.jpg

Thanks.
Harry, I wish I could help you and give you a ID on that palm. It is beauty and I also would like to know the name of the palm. I have looked for it, but I come up empty handed on the name.

I would really love to get seeds of this palm. Dypysisdean, I realise the H. flabetta is a rare palm does Floribunda sell its seeds?

I would really love to get seeds of this palm. Dypysisdean, I realise the H. flabetta is a rare palm does Floribunda sell its seeds?
No Harry - and I am not sure if he even has seeds yet. But I do not know of him ever selling seeds - he is a seedling guy. He might have seedlings, although he does have a minimum order.

BTW - have you seen the audio slideshows of his nursery and garden?
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/MARCUS_GARDEN_TOUR_2012
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/MARCUS_GARDEN_TOUR_2009

Hi Dean,
I had the opportunity to watch the garden tours. What an amazing resource. It is really illuminating and my hat off to you guys for what you are doing in trying to preserve rare palms. Thanks.

Thanks Harry,

I am doing a new photo session a week from today in order to make a new updated slideshow. It usually takes us a month to get together again and sit down to do the audio. So stay tuned. Jeff has so many species, and so many new species since the last version. So, the palms have grown and there will be much new material to see and learn about.