One of the Biggest I've Seen - Allagoptera arenaria

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
A palm from the hot and dry Kona coast. I don't know why you don't see this more often in smaller temperate gardens. It's the perfect size and an easy grow. And salt tolerant to boot.

Allagoptera.JPG

I will be long gone from this earth before mine will be that size.

I do not think it would be that big in 50 yrs. I think I have had it 10 yrs and it looks the same size as the day it was planted.

I have one in Jacksonville FL. I haven't seen it in 2 years, but it was covering the patio because I thought it was a slow grower. Whoops! It's roots are in mucky swampy soil but the top foot or so is nearly pure sand. It regularly flowers and sets fruit and seed. I've been quite surprised by its growth rate. Here in Winter Haven they seem to be growing well too.

Kona coast must be a killer spot for Cycads. I bet Encephalartos would grow like weeds there. That palm has a Cycas deboensis look to it.

Kona coast must be a killer spot for Cycads. I bet Encephalartos would grow like weeds there. That palm has a Cycas deboensis look to it.
Yep they do. I'm not partial to planting them myself, but I do appreciate them. I'll have to take a pic of a pretty good sized one down at this same nursery. They also have some beautiful fast growing Bismarkias as well.

20160112_074623_HDR.jpg
20160112_074607_HDR.jpg
Here's one at a property I do maintenance at in Shark Key. It is 8 ft plus. Planted 12 years ago to the best of my knowledge. It does not get full on blazing sun, so it would probably be larger if it did. Still a nice palm though.