Old croton garden in St. Pete

junglegal

Esteemed Member
30/03/08
Paging through an old book I bought, I came across an old newspaper clipping. It was for the St. Pete Time from Sunday Oct 18, 1953. They must have had a big gardening section back in the day.

They announce that the Selbys at 162 28th Ave NE are looking forward to their 'exotic' rangur lime tree ripening. Also that plants of heather arrived by air from Scotland for the garden of Mrs. Haydn Laycock :)D) at 521 42nd ave south. Can you imagine publishing your address these days??!! I should tell the paper I planted a Kentiopsis yesterday LOL

Of more interest to me is that they encourage the general public to go by the colorful croton garden of William Sand at 459 15th ave north North. That is very near me. Hmmm, what are the chances that his crotons are still on property?! I will do a drive by tomorrow on the way home from work. Lets hope!

That's pretty interesting and I would be excited to do a "drive-by", but I probably couldn't wait, and would go today.:) Please let us know how it went and if there were any crotons left in the landscape there. Take pictures if possible.

Jeff

as you can see from me & Mom, it runs in the family..Okay...now back to crotons! :D

Attachments

• 100_0947.jpg
    100_0947.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 109
Hey Ray, You may run into Julie because she agreed to do a drive by for me while I am shackled to this desk. It's near cresecent lake and there has been a lot of new construction in that area. I don't have high hopes for anything remaining.

OK, I had someone do a driveby, she said no visible crotons form the street. You can go to google maps and see the house. I'll go by myself after work

Just goes to show that all these gardens we create for our own enjoyment are but a fleeting snapshot in time. I feel sad for Mr. William Sand after seeing his property not resembling a home that has a cherished garden or a garden at all any more.

I bet he had some great things back in the day as he was mere blocks away from Turner's famous Sunken Gardens.

What is all this fuss about a croton garden in St. Pete? You can see a great
croton garden Dec. 5th at Phil Stagers house when he hosts the next croton
society meeting.----be there.

Oh I'll be there! Phil's collection is top notch & an inspiration but nothing to do with what I was trying to relay with this post.

I just love when gardening, history and mystery all blends. I think others do too!