"My first Cordyline!"

The Silent Seed

18/08/11
I have a green and a red Cordyline australis, but a few days ago, I bought my "first ever" Cordyline - one of the new Mocha Latte's. Just so funky, and beautiful! Anyone else growing this one? What's the history on this one?
Best, Jude

I have a green and a red Cordyline australis, but a few days ago, I bought my "first ever" Cordyline - one of the new Mocha Latte's. Just so funky, and beautiful! Anyone else growing this one? What's the history on this one?
Best, Jude

Jude, You must post a picture. P l e a s e :D I have seen Miss Andrea sold a Mocha Latte.

As promised, two shots (Mac PhotoBooth ! ) of my Mocha Latte Cordyline. I'm really enjoying it.

Attachments

• Photo 19.jpg
    Photo 19.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 175
  • Photo 20.jpg
    Photo 20.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 183
Just so you know Jude. That is a Miss Andrea - named after the lovely wife of Jeff Searle, who you see posting here. Maybe he can tell us how long ago Frank Brown named that for Andrea.

It is a great Ti to start out with. Definitely in my top ten, maybe top five.

Thank you for the correct ID! Anyone have a Mocha Latte to post? I'm now curious! (I'm not disappointed - I really love this plant) - and I'm sure I'll have more :) I really like the all-burgundy ones - what is that one?
Best, Jude

Thank you for the correct ID! Anyone have a Mocha Latte to post? I'm now curious! (I'm not disappointed - I really love this plant) - and I'm sure I'll have more :) I really like the all-burgundy ones - what is that one?
Best, Jude
Jude,

There are quite a few all burgundy ones - and all colors in between. What I think you may have trouble with is the colors become more vibrant the stronger the light is. And most of the burgundies almost want full sun.

Several that are ALL Burgundy? Oh boy - how can one even tell any of them apart?
It's really interesting seeing a plant that is dark Burgundy from the soil level up to the leaf tips, with no hint of any other color whatsoever. If it helps any, the ones I see have long, slender leaves (Not grasslike, like australis) but narrow, compared to the one I just got.

I see those as being very reddish - so maybe Burgundy isn't quite the color I'm after - the ones I am seeing, are very, very dark, on the blacker side of the spectrum? Ring any bells ? But, granted, the ones here are almost always being grown in part-shade in the nurseries/greenhouses. (But are very well-grown)
Heck, I will just go get one, and post a picture :)
Where are those beauties at ? Is that your mansion? :)

PS
There is another Burgundy one that does have pink streaks in it, that I have seen now and then. It's crazy how many colors there can be in a leaf!

Jude, Are you talking something in this neighborhood of color?

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 259
That one is Black Magic it is darker when not in full sun as it was when the pic was taken. Check out the International Cordyline Society site for lots of Ti pics.

Here's some more burgundy ones.

Attachments

• IMGP8403.jpg
    IMGP8403.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 165
  • IMGP8386.jpg
    IMGP8386.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMGP8383.jpg
    IMGP8383.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMGP8385.jpg
    IMGP8385.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 176
I am going to give C. australis another try in the garden. This time in a dry summer time location.

Attachments

• IMG_5794.jpg
    IMG_5794.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_5796.jpg
    IMG_5796.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 178