mango croton

Dave,

I saw a large 3gallon this past TPIE Trade Show, and to me it looks like a legit variety. Like some of the others, their being produced in large numbers offshore and sent then up here through a broker. I just recently stuck a bunch last week in my mist house. The closest it looks to me would be a Stoplight.

Jeff

thanks. It looks familiar. Here is where I planted mine. Full sun.

Attachments

• crot1.jpg
    crot1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 382
This one sat in a seven-gallon can for a few months. When I decided to plant it, the roots were confined to the original 3-gallon can it had been grown in. The new soil was clear of new root growth and made a nice mound that this one is planted in. Sun at noon and for a bit of the early afternoon. The rest of the day it's in shade.

Attachments

• mango.jpg
    mango.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 431
It died back to one stem. It seems to not like drought conditions that much as it wilted pretty quickly even after two or three days of no water. I have kept it watered, but down to one stem and not too healthy and hasn't grown any. Negative growth actually. Either I got a defective one or this one likes shade better.

I'm sorry but Mango has turned out to be pretty much a lemon for me. Sometimes it show some promise but never has shown colors like Scott's. I've seen some big ones that may have one or two branches looking good with the remainder looking unremarkable. When space becomes a factor, this croton will be a candidate for the mulch pile in favor of something prettier. It is easiest the dog of the bed in which it is planted. Yes it gets plenty of sun too. I was excited when this cultivar first appeared, loving the orange potential.

I'm sorry but Mango has turned out to be pretty much a lemon for me. Sometimes it show some promise but never has shown colors like Scott's. I've seen some big ones that may have one or two branches looking good with the remainder looking unremarkable. When space becomes a factor, this croton will be a candidate for the mulch pile in favor of something prettier. It is easiest the dog of the bed in which it is planted. Yes it gets plenty of sun too. I was excited when this cultivar first appeared, loving the orange potential.
Ron, I have 4 Mangos and the 2 that I got from Cleo are the ones that have great color. The other 2 lack great color and like you the days are numbered for them. Growing in full southern sun location.
Img_5914.jpg

I took this picture Monday. This is one I planted at a client's house. I've been very happy with the color it has been putting out. Another example of why a good clone really counts.
CAM00972.jpg
CAM00973.jpg
CAM00965.jpg

Tim - at times my Mango looks fabulous often it does not. This croton was well received when introduced but I personally do not feel it has lived up to its potential. Sorry but my personal opinion is that its more Dud then Dude. When I'm totally out of room (aka the Lamar stage, LOL :D), I'll be yoking mine out for a more worthy replacement. o_O

Very nice Scott,I got tired of looking at my horrible looking Mango and I chopped it down yesterday.It is now composting on the side of house.I tried everything,but the patient was too sick :)