mango bombs

pocomo

26/03/10
In the previous thread you might have noticed the mango leaves on the ground. That's not all that fall from mango trees. I thought I found a safe spot but here's what happens when mangos fall. This is the pot that doris and salmon were in. luckily it was a direct hit on the edge and not the middle of the liner. I don't think there will be any more strikes from this location.
Chris

Attachments

• P1090518a.jpg
    P1090518a.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 88
  • P1090525a.jpg
    P1090525a.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 93
Chris - I understand your pain. :(

Mango Bombs collateral damage in the moose land. :eek:

In containers:

1. Sheared branch off of Madam Butterfly.

2. Sheared off top of Columbiana.

3. Mangled Stewartii, air layer gift from Bullwinkle.

4. Chili Pan, top sheared off.

In the ground:

1. Leopardia, sheared off air layer.

2. Thomas Edison, sheared branches & leaves - multiple hits.

3. Sybil Griffin, sheared leaves - multiple hits.

4. Magnificient, sheared leaves - multiple hits.

This tree is done with the fruit thank God. Now the avocado tree next to it ... :rolleyes:

Wow,lots of casualties,sounds like you got hit with a cluster bomb.Plant up those amputees,they will surprise you !!

Chris - I understand your pain. :(

Mango Bombs collateral damage in the moose land. :eek:

In containers:

1. Sheared branch off of Madam Butterfly.

2. Sheared off top of Columbiana.

3. Mangled Stewartii, air layer gift from Bullwinkle.

4. Chili Pan, top sheared off.

In the ground:

1. Leopardia, sheared off air layer.

2. Thomas Edison, sheared branches & leaves - multiple hits.

3. Sybil Griffin, sheared leaves - multiple hits.

4. Magnificient, sheared leaves - multiple hits.

This tree is done with the fruit thank God. Now the avocado tree next to it ... :rolleyes:

Ron,
You sound like your living in a war zone! keep your head down.

Ray,

A box of mangos for the auction sounds great. I would contribute, but mine are almost all off the trees now.

A couple of more infirmary shots.

Ray - the mangoes on this tree are done. I have been neglectful keeping it pruned. I use my neighbors 8 ft. ladder, plus my height and 12 ft. picker and I still can't reach them all. Mangoes falling 25 + feet can really do some damage. I am too old and fat to be climbing the tree to prune. Looks like I will need a cherry picker to do the job over the next couple of years since you are not to remove more than 33% of the canopy at a time.

My other tree is a Keitt cultivar and they will not be ready until August. Besides, getting a box of mangoes out of Andrea Searle's driveway has the same chance as a snowball surviving in .... (you know the place). :eek:

Attachments

• Infirmary4.jpg
    Infirmary4.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Infirmary3.jpg
    Infirmary3.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 94
Well it's started. They're small this year but some are starting to ripen and the squirrels can't resist. So far no collateral damage.

Well it's started. They're small this year but some are starting to ripen and the squirrels can't resist. So far no collateral damage.

Yes - the bombardment has begun. When they fall 15+ feet and make a direct hit, the damage could be harsh to a croton. This bomb landed in a safe area yesterday. :eek:

Squirrels are a pain, the "two legged" squirrels cause the most damage. :mad:

Attachments

• Bomb.JPG
    Bomb.JPG
    442.9 KB · Views: 79
Best to use clippers or a picker, so to control the bombardment.

A few weeks ago I noticed a solitary ripe papaya among a half dozen green. Too lazy to fetch the picker, I decided I would stand on the opposite side of the ripe papaya, shake the tree, and deftly catch it before it hit the ground. I shook the tree and the first fruit to break was a green papaya that landed smack in the middle of my forehead!

Beware, fruit season has begun!

Got some heavy rain yesterday. Mangos that are too high in the tree to pick let lose. Mango Bomb collateral damage = The Moth and Clipper. Recent air layers demolished. :(

I now have cuttings of irene kingsley/satan and coral shower from the remnants of yesterdays' bomb damage. Ladders are up and I'm continually picking but I just can't see them all. And the squirrels are relentless mango bombardiers.

My trees at the nursery(2) and the three at the house are all dropping, or another week away from starting. I have three picker poles and luckily I can still reach most. If not, I climb the tree and get them. I'll be damn if the critters get them. I'm on a roll! For those of you that might drop by during the rest of the year, or next spring, Mango Smoothies will be always available. Andrea makes a MEAN ONE!

In case anyone is interested today ...

COMMUNITY DAY
AT THE USDA SUBTROPICAL HORTICULTURE RESEARCH STATION (LOCALLY KNOWN AS “CHAPMAN FIELD”)

Marvelous Mangos will be featured at the USDA Chapman Field Community Day on June 23, 2012

Help Celebrate the 150th Anniversary of USDA

The magnificent and marvelous mango is the featured fruit at this year’s USDA-ARS Community Day at Chapman Field. Come join us and taste different varieties of mangos grown at this USDA research facility. Choose one of two new flowering trees which are available for free (limited supplies). Also see how agricultural research and experiments are done during lab tours, and take an air-conditioned bus tour of the experimental groves and extensive plant collections.

Over the years, this station has been responsible for the introduction and/or development of many of our favorite plants and fruits here in South Florida, and this is an opportunity to learn more about the many contributions that scientists at this facility have made, and continue to make, for the benefit of our community and our nation.

Also included in this event are plant sales, food vendors, and educational booths that will reveal many more resources that are available to you!

This open house is FREE and open to the public!

When: Saturday, June 23, 10 am – 3 pm (The Friends of Chapman Field, a local support group, will have its annual meeting at 9 am, open to the public)

Where: USDA-ARS, 13601 Old Cutler Rd, Miami. Located between Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay.