Mammy,Mammy,my dear sweet old Mammy...

Stan

17/04/14
When I saw this over Christmas season at Walmart,and then today looking perfect? in JANUARY? I had to get it. I don't think ANYBODY in the bay area would have expected a Croton to survive our winters. And this Mammy outdoors only under a light silver screening. "Petra" fronting it,almost as well...just a bit worn. Still with every leaf though.
If you think its a another Croton rather then Mammy,just let me know. It seems a bit darker then most.
IMG_1741s.jpg
s.jpg

My first 3 Crotons. Planted July 1998. All three have been cut back to within 6" of the soil at least twice.
The last two are on the north side of the garden, fully exposed to the cold north wind.
IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

Thanks Fawn,I would be happy with that. You remind me,one of the trunks on my potted plant looks like its a few years old. Been cut back before seems like.
This is the bay area,and so It will take some thing most years to get them by. But,if all that is just covering from frost?,no problem. If they can take the cool other then that would be great.

Well,almost March and Mammy looks the same. But I admit I bought it after the Jan 1st coldest night of the year. A night that was only supposed to drop to 40 or 39f..So,after covering the previous nights 35f cold,I didn't cover on New Years Eve. Then it dropped like a rock to 33f.
So,now I can report the bad..'Petra' had one stem killed,another almost defoliated and the third plant seems to be holding up..losing some leaves but no top leaves or stem damage. Ok,I 'm pretty sure one stem is dead..maybe it will surprise me huh?.
Other then the 2 hours of 10a winter we had our mildest winter ever I would think. December's lows averaged 50f.
I might be tempted by 'Stoplight' or the Fiddle leafed Croton if I see them as I'm told they are even more cold tolerant then what I have. But,I'm not adding any others as we are too cool for them. Even summers they can thrive in full sun without burn because we usually are at 75f.

Try to find a Stewartii very cool tolerant. If you ever come to Ft. Lauderdale give me a buzz I have a couple setting around somewhere.