Kings In A Waterfall Paradise

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
How's this for your own private garden? This was at a Bed and Breakfast we just stayed on the Hilo side of the Big Island for a belated Valentine's Day. We were told this is the largest private waterfall on the island - with a bamboo garden and even some wild ripe bananas waiting for us that were delicious. Here are some stills and a couple of videos. If you ever need a suggestion for a super low key paradise to stay in the Hilo area, let me know. The bananas, the swim, and the privacy will be forever remembered.

The Alexander Palms have become naturalized in tremendous quantities in the river gullies on this side of the island.
IMG_1350PT.jpg IMG_1341PT.jpg
DON'T MISS THE VIDEOS
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
What about the King palms? They should not only naturalize in Hawaii...but march much farther up the slopes where ever rain falls instead of snow. I only hear about Alex palms.

There just aren't many Kings (cunninghamia) here. But I'm sure they would naturalize just as readily, if not more so. Unless of course there is some difference in the seed and how the birds (or pigs, or whatever) disperse it.

In fact, after thinking about it, I have only seen palms I know are Kings in two different places - both on the Kona side.

Dean,
I could just imagine what somebody like you or I could do with this property. It's lacking a nice landscape in several ways for sure. I wonder if the lagoon is man made and how deep it is.

Dean,
I could just imagine what somebody like you or I could do with this property. It's lacking a nice landscape in several ways for sure. I wonder if the lagoon is man made and how deep it is.
Imagine is the word. My imagination was off the tracks with possibilities. Nevermind the mini-hydroelectic plant that supplied all the electric. Or the deep soil that the surrounding area had with lots of macadamias. And the working bed and breakfast that would probably provide a living.

The lagoon appeared to be natural as the flow in the video was during a major dry period. I am sure the river just rages when there are your typical Hilo rainstorms. So I think that helps create these pools at the bottom of the many waterfalls.

There are some more pics and video on their website - you should check it out - the key is waiting in the door at your residence, and you leave it there when you leave. No check in, no check out - super peaceful and laid back.
http://www.waterfall.net/

Last edited:
Quite a few years ago I visited some people who lived near Hilo next to a river where a forest of Alexander palms were growing. It was so beautiful. The downside of it was when it started to get dark the area became mosquito heaven and you couldn't be outside without being eaten up.

Quite a few years ago I visited some people who lived near Hilo next to a river where a forest of Alexander palms were growing. It was so beautiful. The downside of it was when it started to get dark the area became mosquito heaven and you couldn't be outside without being eaten up.
One of the nice things about the Kona side (or at least where I am) is that there are no night time mosquitos.

Beautiful. ...will have to remember this B&B if we go on vacation there....sounds like a great spot. I assume you swam there in the buff .... lol....I mean com'on .... can't go somewhere like this without some skinny dipping