July 2011 Meeting

Phil Stager

Esteemed Member
04/07/09
In one or more other threads, some of you expressed an interest in a meeting on the West coast in July on a Saturday other than 2-July which conflicts with a long weekend.
I propose the following for Saturday, 16-July:
10am Meet and tour Sunken Gardens in St. Pete; admission is $8, $6 for those of us over 55; free if you are a member of a corresponding/reciprocal botanical garden like FTG.
Noon to 1pm - lunch on your own; lots of restuarants in all price ranges near-by.
1pm Tour, auction, refreshments, whatever at my place.

Comments, suggestions, ....?? If interested, speak now or forever hold your peace. As of today, Sunken Gardens has no weddings or other special events scheduled.

Palm nuts may want to visit the Kopsick Palm Arboretum in downtown St. Pete; approx 200+ species of palms and 50+ of cycads; free admission

Ray,

My garden is still torched from winter. Now it's frying up & being eaten up! Hardly worth touring. Maybe next year (if we have a mild winter).

Just a thought I had this morning. I need to remove seedlings of the Mexican Oleander (Thevetia peruriana) from the garden soon. If you will be attending the July meeting and want some plants let me know and I will bring them. The flowers add a really nice fragrance to the garden.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 153
Bren,

Might be a good idea to mass rmail Society members with information about the Forum/Wiki and an invitation to join and participate. I can easily set up an event calendar here. And this software could be used to keep those interested "in the loop" regarding events, etc. through emailings and the like.

Dean,
Great idea but the powers that be are privy to that info. I am not even sure they frequent this forum. Heck, I'm not even sure who is on the board. LOL. Is this forum and this event officially sanctioned? It's been awfully quiet lately.

Dean,
Great idea but the powers that be are privy to that info. I am not even sure they frequent this forum. Heck, I'm not even sure who is on the board. LOL. Is this forum and this event officially sanctioned? It's been awfully quiet lately.

Is the Society still around? I have heard nothing from the powers.

The air layers are now 4 weeks and two days on. I checked a couple and the results are not all that stellar. There are some short white healthy roots but not as many as one would expect after 4 weeks at this time of the year. I suspect that the lack of rain was a definite contributing factor. All the crotons were watered. It was so dry that only the status quo could be maintained with little root generation in the air layers.

Just curious, who is going to the meeting? :confused:

The air layers are now 4 weeks and two days on. I checked a couple and the results are not all that stellar. There are some short white healthy roots but not as many as one would expect after 4 weeks at this time of the year. I suspect that the lack of rain was a definite contributing factor. All the crotons were watered. It was so dry that only the status quo could be maintained with little root generation in the air layers.

Just curious, who is going to the meeting? :confused:

Ron,

Many,many air layers will not be ready after 4 weeks, even during the summer I found. The lack of rains certainly is a contributing factor for a slower root growth,IMO. What I do know and everyone else that have done air layers before, some cultivars will root much faster than others.

Jeff

Ray, so true. Very maze like. Don't suppose they are giving up a cutting or 2 for auction? A couple other suggestions..a couple signs made up welcoming non members to join in the fun. We may pick up a member or two. Also, if someone has an ipad or the like on 4G, it would be nice to have the wiki up so people can see them grown out. Assuming of course that Phil doesn't have stellar specimens in his garden for an up close and personal.

NO cuttings from Sunken Gardens !!!!!! Just about everything at Sunken Gardens is already in fairly wide distribution, e.g. Dr. Lin Yu Tang, Gilbert Cutler, Yellow Duke of Windsor, and a grunch of Mamie and Yellow Excurrens sports, and a few fmore i cannot recall as I key this in.

Looking to share a ride. Long trip to go alone, don't want to fall asleep on Aligator Alley. Will RSVP ASAP. :eek:

Anyone care to post what plants they are donating for the auction ? :confused: I will post a list as soon as it is determined which are coming. Need to monitor which air layers are looking like they are doing well.

If the Moose can't make it, I will give my donations to Jeff Searle to transport for me :)

The following in 3 gal size will be at auction:
Curly Boy
Col Gilbert Cutler
LadyCalire
Fishbone
Joannis
Multico0lor
Island Breeze
Yellow Duke of Windsor
King of Siam (the yellow and green one)
Cornbread
Thos. Edison
Dr Lin Yu Tang
Pride of Winterhaven - wide leaf form

Also a you-dig-it Dr Tang in the ground if any interest or for trade. May also throw in a few 1 gal misc. and assorted.

Here are the probable ones coming from my garden. Phil - thank you for providing your list, it helped me avoid bringing duplicates. Variety is the spice of life after all. :)

1st Photo: Andreanum

2nd Photo: Christmas

Attachments

• Andreanum.jpg
    Andreanum.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Christmas.jpg
    Christmas.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 165
And some more ... :)

1st Photo: MacAdoo an old cultivar

2nd Photo: Piecrust aka Mortimer and the original name Undulatum