If You Still Don't Have a Milky Way...

Marie Nock

04/07/09
The Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society is holding its Annual Plant Auction next Monday evening, October 26th 2015, in the Garden House at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Admission is free and you're invited to attend. Pinecrest Gardens has donated 3 Milky Way crotons and other members have donated a beautiful Mona Lisa, Geisha Girl, Diane, Angel Wing and some NOIDs. There will be many other crotons that come in Monday evening as many TFEPS members are also members of this forum. Our auctioneers are Jeff Searle and Lenny Goldstein so the evening is guaranteed to be lively and fun! And, the refreshment table is unrivaled.
DSC_0079.JPG

Many other rare tropical plants will be up for auction as well. There will be a Pentagonia wendlandii if that's a plant you've been seeking. Additionally, Fairchild has promised some rare contributions. Cash, checks and MC/Visa will be accepted.

Enter through the South Gate. The preview begins at 7:00 pm. Hope you can make it.

More good news for the auction. Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden has donated a one year Family membership (Value $135,00) to be auctioned to benefit the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society. I am looking forward to picking up some crotons on my wish list and will be donating an Arrowhead, King of Siam, and Johanna Coppenger. This auction promises to be great as always and with Jeff Searle and Lenny Goldstein as auctioneers we can't go wrong. Hope to see you there.

Go to the bank, get you a hand full of cash! Kip came by today and helped me to empty my green house. We loaded 25 different cultivars into his van that he will be transporting to the auction. I'm gonna cram as many as I can into my Toyota Monday. Should be at least 40 different cultivars that will be offered at this auction.

This society might consider changing their name to the, South Florida Croton Society. Or, The Croton Society of South Florida. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? Lol. Because I think there will be more crotons than ferns up for auction. And if THAT happens, that will be a first.....

Tonight is the night! Baking pecan pies and making a chocolate heathbar trifle for the refreshment table. Hope to see you.

What an auction! Jeff suggested renaming the Society the South Florida Croton and Fern Society because the display of crotons was astonishing. There were 63 crotons with only 2 duplications. Jeff was a superb auctioneer - encouraging the competition among bidders and every last dollar out of their wallets. The auction grossed a little over $3700 which is great for the Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society and its programming. Jeff's son Travis was there helping to stage the auction plants and Ryan was busy taking pictures throughout the evening. I'm sure he caught some "moments." Ron's generosity in donating so many his crotons earned him the title "donor of the year." Many other forum members were in attendance - Lamar, Kip, Larry, Marnie and Jose and I'm sure we made some croton converts. We came home with 3 crotons along with rare flowering trees and a dwarf water lily.

I really enjoyed the BIG auction! There was a nice variety of crotons and other exotic plants. Very glad to see everyone. I came home with some very nice plants as well!

And a great time was had by all. I got a couple of crotons. a wonderful Anthurium Pseudospectabile and a lovely Diplazium Esculentum fern.
I'm very pleased with getting "Pride of Naples" I loved it since seeing yours planted by your poor Lamar. Yours is a beautiful croton and if I remember correctly yours gets a fair amount of sun. ?? ?? I also got a "Mike Fascell" which is small, but a beauty. It was just a great evening with lots of beautiful plants, wonderful food, and a room full of plant loving people. What more can you ask for.