? 'Her Highness'

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I have had 'Her Highness' for about a year and have only gotten 1 growth flush. I have it growing in 1/2 day sun. Is this one just naturally slow growing?

We have been so dry over the past year in Vero that my crotons that are not in areas that are getting good irrigation have been slow as well. I don't have this cultivar, so can't tell you if it is slow in general or not. Have you top dressed with composted cow manure and has it been well watered (I always go with supplemental water with either Superthrive or one of the other similar products for new or slow growing crotons which may or may not do anything)? This might give it a jump start. I have also found that small cutting grown plants take much longer than the larger air layered plants, but you have enough experience with crotons that I am sure you know all about these things. I am pretty sure David has this plant so when he sees your post maybe he can give more specific information. I usually give them a couple of years and then move them if I get around to it. I do still have some crotons that are obviously not happy with the conditions where they are planted because they have barely grown at all in several years, but I just never get around to moving them and sometimes they kick it into gear on their own and start growing. Good luck.

I frequently confuse this one with Lady Claire since they appear almost identical. It or they seem to grow best in bright light. A small one in shade has stayed small; a big one in lots of light is a robust grower for me in lots of light; definitely not a shade lover. Would post some pics but that's a separate issue for now.

Tortilla
image.jpg
a very good grower and prolific seeder. I got it from Pres. Scott about 8/10 years ago. Jeff's plant 4 years ago a darker green a little more dense growth habit and doesn't seem to seed like the other plant.
image.jpg