First Air-Layer

palmisland

28/03/08
This air-layer is about 5 weeks old. The roots were already poking out of the foil, for first of the season:) Mama plant

Randy

Attachments

• DSC_0002_2.jpg
    DSC_0002_2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 148
Randy,

Congrat's on your first airlayer. It is kind of neat when you finally remove it and get it potted up. A few more, and you can be considered a nurseryman then.:)

I've been putting them on my plants for the last two weeks. I have about 25 or so more to do and I'll be finished. Then the wait begins.

Let me ask you, what type of knife did you use? And did you have other airlayers to make?

Jeff

Randy,

Congrat's on your first airlayer. It is kind of neat when you finally remove it and get it potted up. A few more, and you can be considered a nurseryman then.:)

I've been putting them on my plants for the last two weeks. I have about 25 or so more to do and I'll be finished. Then the wait begins.

Let me ask you, what type of knife did you use? And did you have other airlayers to make?

Jeff

Knife? I just scored the branch with a pair scissors & peeled the bark off. I've done 8 so far & have a few more to do. I was suprised how easy it was to do!:)

Must be the season again... put about 25 air layers on today on the plants that survived the winter with lots of leaves. Still lots of sticks in the ground and in pots, but more and more are showing buds.

Air layering sounded a bit mysterious when I first heard of it. But after watching someone do it once, I've been at it since and have the brown juice-stained clothes to prove it. ...and then to find out that Chinese gardeners have been air-layering for some 3000+ years, long before Al foil, rubber bands, twist ties, Saran wrap, etc...

an even easier way to remove the bark is to use pliers. Simply apply the pliers with a gentle grasp and spin it around the branch. It removes the bark quickly and hassle free.