Ferns on Palm Trunks

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
It is time to clean up some palms in the garden. Here is Livistona benthamii with ferns growing in the palm boots. I fear the fern will overtake the crown. Best to remove or will it be fine?

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 4,443
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 2,222
I would leave them alone but that is just me. It is a matter of what you think looks good. You can either pull them by hand or put a roundup solution on a sponge mop and climb a ladder.

I'm with Jerry. Unless you can't stand the look neither of those ferns will cause any damage, or "overtake" the crown. But I would certainly avoid any Round Up. Sponging it on up there would be a accident waiting to happen. It would be hard to hand sponge on them effectively anyway. That "sword fern" you can just grab and pull out easily if it is anything like what I have here - very few weak roots.

Personally I like it. However, with a prolonged dry spell they might start looking a little ratty. Right now, I like the look. You usually only see that look in the tropics.

Can you get up there anyway? How high is it?

I like the look and will leave them be. Here is another little fern called the Resurrection Fern growing on a palm trunk. Often seen growing on the limbs of the Live Oak. First pic taken in its dry state of life. The second pic taken a few hours later of same fern after a little water.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 867
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 886
I like the look and will leave them be. Here is another little fern called the Resurrection Fern growing on a palm trunk. Often seen growing on the limbs of the Live Oak. First pic taken in its dry state of life. The second pic taken a few hours later of same fern after a little water.

Those are cool. I remember buying them as a kid in mail order.

Here is another fern growing around my Butia.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 780
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1,181
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 651
In the rainforests in my part of the state, ferns, orchids and other ephytes grow up he trunks of trees and palms naturally. Often see olderCIDP as street trees with the trunks literally covered in ferns too. To me it looks pretty, its a natural occurance and does not harm the palms. My largest Roystonea (10 metres or so) is covered by syngonium, only the crownshaft stops it from being buried, but he is big healthy palm and no damage appears to be done even by this extreme.
Peachy

I like the ferns myself. Butia with stag horn.

Attachments

• DSC08277.jpg
    DSC08277.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 787
  • DSC08275.jpg
    DSC08275.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 764