Dypsis heteromorpha

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
This is a rare palm, Dypsis heteromorpha. Some are growing this Dypsis in Australia & California. There are some question if the true Dypsis heteromorpha is even being cultivated. This palm is from Pete Balasky's collection. Pete grew this palm from seed given to him over 10 years ago. Is this the same "Dypsis heteromorpha" that others have - I leave that up to your discretion.

Attachments

• P #6 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #6 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 151
  • P #5 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #5 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 154
  • P #1 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #1 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 198
  • P #4 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #4 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 167
  • P #3 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #3 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 152
  • P #2 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    P #2 Dypsis heteromorpha.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 161
Moose,

Not the same plant as we are growing in CA. Looks a bit like albofarinosa to me. The heteromorph a we are growing is tristichous with red fuzz on the crownshaft.

I agree with the other experts. It looks very similar to what has been going around Hawaii as D. psammophila - but is probably a wrong name as well. And very similar to what Aaron said - D. albofarinosa - but may not be either. At any rate, a Dypstery to me - but fairly certain this is not the elusive D. heteromorpha.

Jeff, when are you going to get with it and get a camera? Or at least a phone with a decent camera? Aren't you going to get some grandkids any day now?

I agree with the other experts. It looks very similar to what has been going around Hawaii as D. psammophila - but is probably a wrong name as well. And very similar to what Aaron said - D. albofarinosa - but may not be either. At any rate, a Dypstery to me - but fairly certain this is not the elusive D. heteromorpha.

Jeff, when are you going to get with it and get a camera? Or at least a phone with a decent camera? Aren't you going to get some grandkids any day now?

Ha,ha and ha. You know Dean, if you would maybe make an effort once in awhile like some of my other good friends do and call me, maybe email me to just shoot the $hit you might know.......

I own a Nikon D3100 camera

I own a decent phone that takes very good pictures AND....

I already have 4 grandkids, from 1 1/2 years to 12 years old. So we need to catch up....:)

Jeff got such a fancy schmancy camera, he has trouble navigating through all its features.

Jeff, have Ryan set everything to auto so you can just point and shoot!

Tough crowd around here.

Long story short, I was at Pete's last week and saw this palm. It's not what's going around as D. heteromorpha. I did find one plant that is, he just didn't know the name.