Differences in rooting rates between cultivars?

RonDEZone7a

02/07/09
Has anyone noticed a difference in the ease (or lack of) rooting between different croton cultivars? Lee from Tampa sent me a big bunch of cuttings earlier in the summer. I've treated them all the same - all were dipped in rooting hormone, stuck in potting soil, put under a grow light in a terrarium - but some varieties rooted quickly, others took a while, and at least one is barely rooting. The one not rooting very readily for me is "Stoplight". One cutting of "Stoplight" seems to have died and the other is on shaky ground.

I am up north in Delaware, growing my crotons in pots. This summer has been unusually cool and I'm sure that has affected my croton rooting speed and success rates.

Ron,

In general, I've found the older cultivars easier to root than the newer varieties. I agree with Jeff that your temps have everything to do with the slower rooting. Please post some photos when you get a chance. It's great that you're growing these gorgeous plants up there. What do your friends and family say when they see these plants?

Ray

Thanks for the feedback. I suspected heat was part of my problem. I could try a heating pad on "low" under my "rooting terrarium". If that fails, I might have to bug someone on this forum for a "Stoplight" cutting!

I will post some photos of my plants shortly.

Ron - I will start some airlayers of "Stoplight" and get a decent rootball going for you to plant next spring. We can't let you croton collection go without a Stoplight. This should give you a jump at starting it rather than a cutting. We can't allow our Northern Crotonhead to get discouraged. :p

Ron ;)

Ron,

THANKS !!! I can confirm both my "Stoplight" cuttings did not root successfully. Just about everything else rooted and they didn't. So if you can grow me one and send it up with roots, that would be fantastic!

I am going to go through my "rooting greenhouse" tomorrow and see what varieties I have now - will post something soon about that.

Ron in DE

P1060329.jpg