Damage Report Acrtic Storm Octavia

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
A place to vent or simply report any damage you may have noticed.

Here - Carambola looking cold and wind damaged
Licuala grandis - looking pretty unhappy, it survived 2010 so it will survive again
Coccothrinax montana = suprised about this one, looking wind and cold damaged
Croton "Grandma" lots of wind damage, lots of dropped leaves
Croton "Tickled Pink" lots of wind damage, lots of dropped leaves.

All for now.

Lets hear your report ...

Very lush up here. No damage to report too. Just sweating my butt off as I walk and talk. Even the mosquitos are out! Oh....I think I raked up 3 or 4 leaves off the ground......

No damage,little leaf drop on Hibiscus.there really should not be too much damage west of Palm Beach.It was a brief snap and we warmed back up the next morning.

So far it looks like I got lucky in Vero Beach, even though we did get down to 30-32 degrees for a couple of hours. Have seen no problems with the crotons. Have one gray leaved/purple flowered gesneriad (don't know the species) that looks fried and a variegated heliconia does have some leaf damage even though it was covered. I hope things look just as good in another week, when the damage will be more evident. Even my borderline hardy plants look good at the moment.

Only damage I have noticed are my chapped lips. A very nice 75 here today and 80 on tap tomorrow.

With temps in the 80's the last few days the leaf drop has become noticeable fast.
Img_8885.jpg
Img_8886.jpg

Now that's it's been a couple of weeks I've seen most of the results of the nights at 35 and 38. Just a little leaf drop on many of the plants (maybe 4-5). Like every year, the Ram's Horn is the biggest wimp. It's dropped 80% or more and I think I'm going to pull it as I don't think it will ever amount to much if it takes half the year to recover. Surprisingly, next was the White Ann Rutherford which is one of my largest and fullest plants. It's never done this before. I had to look it over carefully to see if spider mites helped it along, but don't really see any. This one had so many leaves it really doesn't look scathed. Other than that, nothing that is noticeable. The lateness of the cold spell helped, I'm sure, as did the quick warm up.:)

David, I find it so interesting that some of yours lost almost all and others barely winked. I'm sure all will recover well. What percent of your plants had noticeable leaf drop?

Anna, Is your Ram's Horn exposed to the north winds? I have had no problem with mine in the years I have had it planted in a north wind protected spot.

Now that's it's been a couple of weeks I've seen most of the results of the nights at 35 and 38. Just a little leaf drop on many of the plants (maybe 4-5). Like every year, the Ram's Horn is the biggest wimp. It's dropped 80% or more and I think I'm going to pull it as I don't think it will ever amount to much if it takes half the year to recover. Surprisingly, next was the White Ann Rutherford which is one of my largest and fullest plants. It's never done this before. I had to look it over carefully to see if spider mites helped it along, but don't really see any. This one had so many leaves it really doesn't look scathed. Other than that, nothing that is noticeable. The lateness of the cold spell helped, I'm sure, as did the quick warm up.:)

David, I find it so interesting that some of yours lost almost all and others barely winked. I'm sure all will recover well. What percent of your plants had noticeable leaf drop?
Just random plants in the NW CORNER . That is the corner of the yard that is not under the big oaks . there is about 3 degrees different under the tree .... I hate the cold. It was plants that had done good past years . Go figure.....Probably 15 or 20 dropped half or more leaves . Funny my ramshorn didnt loose a leaf . The things we do for a CROTON ......

Just random plants in the NW CORNER . That is the corner of the yard that is not under the big oaks . there is about 3 degrees different under the tree .... I hate the cold. It was plants that had done good past years . Go figure.....Probably 15 or 20 dropped half or more leaves . Funny my ramshorn didnt loose a leaf . The things we do for a CROTON ......

Yeah, it seems a little random to me too. Only the plants know. Maybe the ones most affected this year were a little weakened in some way that we couldn't detect. Drier, in a growing phase, needing a certain nutrient, diseased, who knows.

Scott, my Ram's Horn is not under canopy as are many of mine, but it is next to a pool deck that should give it warmth. It is blocked from north winds in a large part by the house. I think I must have a lemon!

Last edited:
Here in Apopka,

I reached at least 27. With lots of damage to things normally never affected. However, zero frost. Strange one.
Normally my protection would be much better but I got caught off guard after uncovering everything too early.

I covered (not even tightly) the few Crotons I had out in the yard under oak. After 3 weeks the damage report..........
Petra HARDIER - confirmed - no damage
Banana SEMI TENDER- confirmed - 75% leaf drop, already budding back
Gold Dust HARDIER - confirmed - no damage, this one has been in the ground forever and never been killed in 25 years of some pretty hard freezes.

Here in Apopka,

I reached at least 27. With lots of damage to things normally never affected. However, zero frost. Strange one.
Normally my protection would be much better but I got caught off guard after uncovering everything too early.

I covered (not even tightly) the few Crotons I had out in the yard under oak. After 3 weeks the damage report..........
Gold Dust HARDIER - confirmed - no damage, this one has been in the ground forever and never been killed in 25 years of some pretty hard freezes.

That's not too bad for 27.I am sure they will all be fine.

Here in Apopka,

Cold hurts, frost kills - good to see that your plants survived !

Apopka - I originally came from Winter Park but have been in Miami for many years now. There was no Disney World when I left :Cow