Cyphosperma balansae

Re: C. balansae

Do you have one Bob? If so I don't remember. And if not I think one would do very well in your garden.

A user was asking,
"Is this palm one that enjoys a very low pH (high acid)??"

Excuse my ignorance, but are Florida soils generally high pH???

I can tell you that soils here in Hawaii are generally acid, sometimes very acid, and the palm does great. I can also tell you that this palm does amazingly well in SoCal.

So, I would assume that this may be another one of those palms that doesn't like excessive/persistent heat. Hawaii doesn't have much of an overall swing in temps, but the night time temps do get cooler than Florida in summer. And in SoCal they get very much cooler.

So it may be like the same story with a D. decipiens. They like and even prefer some heat, just not constant heat, like a Florida summer.

So, it may be a double whammy for this palm in Florida if it prefers cooler nights, and acid soil, if Florida soil is a higher pH which I suspect.

Our soils are mainly high ph or high alkaline. The only real acidic soils are those that have been enriched with, say oak leaves, over the years. I am not certain what the Everglades "muck" soil is. I would assume more acid as well due to the composting that takes place.